QT Tank

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty. The descriptions says "For freshwater fish only." I don't use QT myself but my understanding is that people generally get a bigger "utility" tank (20-40 gallon breeder) and use filtration that is easy to clean quickly & often.

Lets see what other folks have to say.
@Jay Hemdal -I'm going to search around but let's see whos about that can give you significantly better topical guidance!
:)

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming space isn't an issue, you can commonly pick up an aqueon 40b for around the same price for significantly more qt space.

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noted the "for freshwater use only," statement.

It may work out fine for you, but I would probably go with a glass aquarium and HOB filter.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with others; glass and simple HOB. Your QT is going to get ich, flukes, algae, cyano, everything you can imagine and at times out of control. You want to be able to really easily go to town with a razor blade and disinfect every part of it. Also, flat sides are easier to scrape than curved ones.

Do what you want of course, you’re the one that has to live with it, but that’s my 2 cents after doing strict QT on everything for years.

For my fish QT I found a 20g kit on sale at Petsmart and I’m glad I went with a version that has a lid and light. I upgraded the filter to a tidal 75 for extra flow and media space. The stock heater died after a year. But, on the whole, I’m happy with my $50 purchase before upgrades. 20g won’t do it for a 6” tang, but a 40g would have been a lot more to take care of in terms of water changes and salt over the years as I do 100% water changes not infrequently.

toomanymatts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of expensive. I picked up a basic 10 gallon "starter" kit for freshwater. It had everything including a hood. Only thing I added was a diy k1 bio filter out of a bottle foe aeration and more biological filtration. It's really all you need.
I agree with others; glass and simple HOB. Your QT is going to get ich, flukes, algae, cyano, everything you can imagine and at times out of control. You want to be able to really easily go to town with a razor blade and disinfect every part of it. Also, flat sides are easier to scrape than curved ones.

Do what you want of course, you’re the one that has to live with it, but that’s my 2 cents after doing strict QT on everything for years.

For my fish QT I found a 20g kit on sale at Petsmart and I’m glad I went with a version that has a lid and light. I upgraded the filter to a tidal 75 for extra flow and media space. The stock heater died after a year. But, on the whole, I’m happy with my $50 purchase before upgrades. 20g won’t do it for a 6” tang, but a 40g would have been a lot more to take care of in terms of water changes and salt over the years as I do 100% water changes not infrequently.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a few 10g's for my QT. I use the tank swap method. mix up a huge batch of IO and completely swap out tanks with a 100% water change every 3 days. Clean out the old tank with hot water, and the tank must be completely dry for at least 3 days, I use a hob with floss for copper and praz treatment. when it gets to the observation stage, I run a HOB with biomedia thats been in the sump and then just do water changes once a week. Ammonia badge is helpful.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t even catch the “freshwater comment” thank you all, I’ll do as recommended and pick up a breeder and a simple HOB

The size of your quarantine tank depends on the size of the fish you wilol be quarantining, and that is often a function of the size of your display. This tank is 15 gallons, that could support quarantine of say 3, 2 to 4" fish at a time.

I agree with the others that there are less expesnive tanks that could be used, but this is very sharp looking. Some people leave their QT up and running all of the time, so this tank would look better if you chose to do that.

Jay

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of your quarantine tank depends on the size of the fish you wilol be quarantining, and that is often a function of the size of your display. This tank is 15 gallons, that could support quarantine of say 3, 2 to 4" fish at a time.

I agree with the others that there are less expesnive tanks that could be used, but this is very sharp looking. Some people leave their QT up and running all of the time, so this tank would look better if you chose to do that.

Jay
If you are using this tank for an "observation" QT @Jay Hemdal has a great point! If you are medicating, it can get a bit more complicated and may not be worth the extra effort.
Also looking at the specs on this tank, I can not find any reason it has to be freshwater only. The only thing I can think of is maybe... the pump has some metal in it... but you would want to switch that out with a Sicce 0.5 or equivalent anyway.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree that there isnt likely anything that prevents said tank from being used for marine applications

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back