Quarantine Diamond Goby

Raven09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a diamond goby and he is in quarantine. I had a deadly case of ICH 30 days ago in my DT and lost a bunch of fish so I don’t want to put him in the DT. I put him in my 20gal QT today with Copper Power at a level of 1.0. Should I raise the level even though he has shown no signs of ICH or anything else? He is breathing but not going towards the sand, he just lays there.
Looking for some advice on what I should do next?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond gobies can be tough to quarantine since they are notorious jumpers.

1. Make sure you have a covering on the tank. I've had 2 jump thru egg-crate lids! I now use egg-crate with a mesh backing added for quarantining fish.
2. Lower the water level a few inches below the top of the tank... this will help keep them in the QT as well.
3. Did you match the salinity and temp of the QT water with that from the bag the goby arrived in? Jumping up from low salinity to higher is tough on fish.
4. I'm assuming you are attempting to get the copper to 2ppm? If so, just raise it slowly over the first few days to week while watching his reactions.
5. He's not going to immediately start sifting your QT sand. I use admit 4" long 1" PVC pipes for gobies to hide in while in QT. They typically will bury the tubes and hide in there most of quarantine... coming out only to eat.
6. Feed some mysis shrimp and see if he eats. You want to get that feeding response before adding anymore copper.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back