Quarantine Experience with Copperband Butterfly Fish

Have you tried your hand at a Copperband Butterfly Fish?

• Total voters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I also have a Raccoon butterfly in the acclimation tank. And I'll have a pair of Pakistanis and a pair of schooling bannerfish hopefully soon. I think it's fair to say I love butterfly fish.
Man I hope you dont have coral- All these will have a party.
There are various foods to offer. Mine started on LRS herbivore diet and after 4 years eating flakes, pellets, anything. I think if I dropped a stick of dynamite in the tank, it would go after it

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I hope you dont have coral- All these will have a party.
There are various foods to offer. Mine started on LRS herbivore diet and after 4 years eating flakes, pellets, anything. I think if I dropped a stick of dynamite in the tank, it would go after it
It's a FOWLR tank, otherwise these wouldn't be in the question. I like fish more than coral personally, my 65g fulfills my coral appetite.

Trust me, I gave it everything, LRS herbivore, various hikari frozen offerings, TDO pellets, hikari seaweed pellets, PE mysis, LRS reef frenzy, various rods offerings. It's most interested in hikari mysis but doesn't actually go after it (yet).

Used selcon and garlic as well. Even bought some scallops today to try and change it up. It's will ONLY go for oyster and clam. It's frustratingly picky. The only thing I haven't tried is white/black worms. It's eating the oyster well enough I haven't bothered.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It's a FOWLR tank, otherwise these wouldn't be in the question. I like fish more than coral personally, my 65g fulfills my coral appetite.

Trust me, I gave it everything, LRS herbivore, various hikari frozen offerings, TDO pellets, hikari seaweed pellets, PE mysis, LRS reef frenzy, various rods offerings. It's most interested in hikari mysis but doesn't actually go after it (yet).

Used selcon and garlic as well. Even bought some scallops today to try and change it up. It's will ONLY go for oyster and clam. It's frustratingly picky. The only thing I haven't tried is white/black worms. It's eating the oyster well enough I haven't bothered.
Great. When I had my LFS, pakistani was my favorite and best selling butterfly followed by Racoon. I tried clam with mine, but it prefers the Ocean Nutrition " Clam on a half shell"

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Did you sell CBB’s?
Yes but they were not as common as they are now. CBB, Moorish idols and spotted wrasse have become much easier in captivity opposed to a decade ago

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but they were not as common as they are now. CBB, Moorish idols and spotted wrasse have become much easier in captivity opposed to a decade ago
I can agree with you here, although I have not seen a CBB eating dry food in person, lately I have seen it with Moorish idols who eat even cheap flakes. These fish were considered impossible to keep long term, and although CBB is still difficult, I have read many success stories here, why do you think these fish have had a better captive record in recent years?

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can agree with you here, although I have not seen a CBB eating dry food in person, lately I have seen it with Moorish idols who eat even cheap flakes. These fish were considered impossible to keep long term, and although CBB is still difficult, I have read many success stories here, why do you think these fish have had a better captive record in recent years?
My .02 is that people are coming to these forums and reading success stories and building off them. Understanding you need to buy a fish that is already eating at LFS, one that doesn’t have sunken in face or stomach.

Having the abundance of different food offerings and also not pairing them with too aggressive of fish!

I would love to try a moorish idol in my future build tank!

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm what does their poop look like? Wondering if mine had some stomach bugs

Here's the copper and the longnose. They are a tentative pair, hang around eachother a lot

736AA509-6907-479E-8584-94ADB10C01D7.jpeg

3860618E-ADEE-402C-B14A-737311EB710D.jpeg

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My .02 is that people are coming to these forums and reading success stories and building off them. Understanding you need to buy a fish that is already eating at LFS, one that doesn’t have sunken in face or stomach.

Having the abundance of different food offerings and also not pairing them with too aggressive of fish!

I would love to try a moorish idol in my future build tank!
It would also be nice to know that these fish are in better management from the time they are captured until they reach our individual tanks, a lot of the stress or the high mortality rate is due to poor management at the beginning.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link, I'm trying to search and download some documents on coralivore butterflies feeding but I've been quite busy lately, I'll share them here as soon as I can.
Hello, I have had little free time to look for some information about butterflyfish feeding, I focus on looking for studies carried out by professionals, I found this one that seems interesting to me, I hope you can download the text:

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have had little free time to look for some information about butterflyfish feeding, I focus on looking for studies carried out by professionals, I found this one that seems interesting to me, I hope you can download the text:

That’s a very interesting read!! Thanks for tossing it on the thread.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this article, I will be honest I didn’t even know CBB’s had been captive bred. Another interesting read in how they did so!

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this article, I will be honest I didn’t even know CBB’s had been captive bred. Another interesting read in how they did so!

To be honest I had already forgotten, but this is an excellent article and impressive work by those who made it possible, I'm not sure if Karen Britain had a hand in this project, it may be that she did, she successfully bred Genicanthus personatus in the past.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dude is still going strong!!

Eats as aggressive as the two tangs in the tank with him!

He is fat and happy!!

Attachments

• C5C74413-32E5-4110-AF26-256E853E1465.png
    C5C74413-32E5-4110-AF26-256E853E1465.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • D2145279-2147-4F7D-A97B-BC962B8D1F1B.png
    D2145279-2147-4F7D-A97B-BC962B8D1F1B.png
    935.4 KB · Views: 19

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dude is still going strong!!

Eats as aggressive as the two tangs in the tank with him!

He is fat and happy!!
That's a healthy guy, I was about to get a CBB a few days ago but didn't get a chance to see them in person so it won't be until I can make sure I have a healthy fish.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a healthy guy, I was about to get a CBB a few days ago but didn't get a chance to see them in person so it won't be until I can make sure I have a healthy fish.
Solid play to wait for a healthy specimen that is eating!!

Back