Quarantine period

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo I’ve done a ton of research and read the articles on here about quarantine, and pros and cons of diseas elimination vs management. I know it’s a hot topic. And I know why. My question isn’t about whether or not to quarantine, or to proactively treat or not. It’s this: how long does a fish have to be acting normal in qt unmediated, before you assume it’s safe for DT? Given that so many illnesses can be in a fish and just not show up till it gets stressed, is it safe to assume it’s NEVER safe to introduce a fish into DT without treatment?!?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo I’ve done a ton of research and read the articles on here about quarantine, and pros and cons of diseas elimination vs management. I know it’s a hot topic. And I know why. My question isn’t about whether or not to quarantine, or to proactively treat or not. It’s this: how long does a fish have to be acting normal in qt unmediated, before you assume it’s safe for DT? Given that so many illnesses can be in a fish and just not show up till it gets stressed, is it safe to assume it’s NEVER safe to introduce a fish into DT without treatment?!?
It really depends on the fish. Tangs for instance are almost guaranteed to show symptoms within 2 weeks post treatment if something is there.

Wrasse are another story. They have a thick mucus layer and rarely show symptoms. Although if something makes it through treatment it's possible for a reinfection to show. Copper supressess the immune system etc. So the two week observation period is as much that as it is a conditioning period so you are dropping a healthy fish in the DT.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the fish. Tangs for instance are almost guaranteed to show symptoms within 2 weeks post treatment if something is there.

Wrasse are another story. They have a thick mucus layer and rarely show symptoms. Although if something makes it through treatment it's possible for a reinfection to show. Copper supressess the immune system etc. So the two week observation period is as much that as it is a conditioning period so you are dropping a healthy fish in the DT.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that so many illnesses can be in a fish and just not show up till it gets stressed, is it safe to assume it’s NEVER safe to introduce a fish into DT without treatment?!?

This is why a number of us here (including myself) treat all fish prophylactically. Especially with the prevalence of low-levels of copper in the supply chain, symptoms of parasites can be suppressed for as long as 30 days [emoji849]

If I ever switched to an observation-only approach... I would think it would have to be at least a 30-45 day observation period just to be sure you aren’t dropping suppressed velvet in your tank.

I think the biggest problem with observation-only comes when you have a variety of species that are prone to different ailments. Like the wrasse who doesn’t show any symptoms, but after adding to your display the clownfish you’ve had for months break out in brook. Or your tang doesn’t show signs of uronema, but add him to your tank and there go all of your anthias and chromis...etc.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
This is why a number of us here (including myself) treat all fish prophylactically. Especially with the prevalence of low-levels of copper in the supply chain, symptoms of parasites can be suppressed for as long as 30 days [emoji849]

If I ever switched to an observation-only approach... I would think it would have to be at least a 30-45 day observation period just to be sure you aren’t dropping suppressed velvet in your tank.

I think the biggest problem with observation-only comes when you have a variety of species that are prone to different ailments. Like the wrasse who doesn’t show any symptoms, but after adding to your display the clownfish you’ve had for months break out in brook. Or your tang doesn’t show signs of uronema, but add him to your tank and there go all of your anthias and chromis...etc.
was afraid of that

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.0%
Back