Quarantine Protocol for New Naso Tang

LabradorGirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for assistance in preparing my QT tank for a future Naso purchase. Tang will probably be about 4" when purchased. I would like to be proactive and have the proper medications, prophylactic treatments, and test kits on hand. I have a 10 gal QT. This will be the largest fish to go through my QT. I don't plan on adding any other tangs or larger fish to my DT so I'd rather not purchase a larger tank for QT unless it is a must. I have a good relationship with my LFS and have had good luck with their advice but, I want to weigh in on your thoughts because their recommendations are a little different from somethings I've read.

My QT consists of a an inexpensive starter kit from Petsmart that includes:
10 gal tank with hood, light, thermometer, 50 watt heater, 10 Power Filter with cartridge. I also purchased an ammonia badge, a small pump and an air stone for gas exchange. (LFS suggested air pump/stone over the power head due to size.) LFS also suggested using water from my DT. Also, includes sponge seeded with bacteria. How do you guys feel about this? What else should I do or change?

I was planning on treating with Prazipro first followed by Cupramine given that tangs are susceptible to ick. Is there a copper treatment protocol available that I can follow specifically? I have purchased the Seachem copper test for use with the Cupramine. I've never treated for copper before. I want to give this fish the best possible chance at survival. Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 132 75.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back