Quarantine question

TonyNPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read thru the acclimation and quarantine thread... Thank you for this, very helpful.
Plan on creating a clownfish harem tank.... and eventually some anemone.
Looking to purchase a clutch of 15 small clownfish.
Since they will all be coming from one breeder and they will not be wild caught.
Must do i still do a full quarantine?
Will a 20gallon QT be sufficient for them until they make it into the DT ( Red Sea 250 reefer).
From what i read it will be at least 2 to 3 weeks in close quarters, if i put them thru the full quarantine.
It might be a little tight. Thoughts?
Thank you in advance.
Tony

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read thru the acclimation and quarantine thread... Thank you for this, very helpful.
Plan on creating a clownfish harem tank.... and eventually some anemone.
Looking to purchase a clutch of 15 small clownfish.
Since they will all be coming from one breeder and they will not be wild caught.
Must do i still do a full quarantine?
Will a 20gallon QT be sufficient for them until they make it into the DT ( Red Sea 250 reefer).
From what i read it will be at least 2 to 3 weeks in close quarters, if i put them thru the full quarantine.
It might be a little tight. Thoughts?
Thank you in advance.
Tony
It's always recommended to quarantine any new fish, regardless of whether they're wild-caught or captive-bred. Quarantine allows you to observe the fish for any signs of disease or parasites that may not be immediately visible.

A 20-gallon quarantine tank may be sufficient for 15 small clownfish, as long as it's properly filtered and maintained. It's important to keep a close eye on water parameters and do regular water changes to ensure the health of the fish.

As for the timeline, it's generally recommended to quarantine for at least 2-3 weeks before introducing new fish to the display tank. While it may be tight, it's important to ensure the health and safety of your current fish population. You could consider setting up a temporary holding tank to keep the new fish separated during quarantine if the 20-gallon tank becomes too crowded.

OP
OP
T

TonyNPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always recommended to quarantine any new fish, regardless of whether they're wild-caught or captive-bred. Quarantine allows you to observe the fish for any signs of disease or parasites that may not be immediately visible.

A 20-gallon quarantine tank may be sufficient for 15 small clownfish, as long as it's properly filtered and maintained. It's important to keep a close eye on water parameters and do regular water changes to ensure the health of the fish.

As for the timeline, it's generally recommended to quarantine for at least 2-3 weeks before introducing new fish to the display tank. While it may be tight, it's important to ensure the health and safety of your current fish population. You could consider setting up a temporary holding tank to keep the new fish separated during quarantine if the 20-gallon tank becomes too crowded.
Thank you kindly

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would question the breeder about his quarantine protocol.
Have any of the fish you plan to get, ever had contact with fish that have not been quarantined?
If he can guarantee they haven't and can guarantee they are disease free, maybe you won't need to.
If you do run a quarantine tank you must start with a fully cycled bio-filter such as a air powered sponge filter. And not just a small one or passive one. It must be something that is going to handle 15 fish.

OP
OP
T

TonyNPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The newly cycled DT will only have live rock and sand i when the clutch of Clownfish is introduced...I will run it for at least 2 months just adding food daily to the fishless tank to ensure its cycled properly.
Would you still go through the QT process?

-JoJoReefing-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
QT is always recommended; even you dont have fish for now and the batch of clownfish looks fine, if they simply carry some disease without symptoms, this would be a risk factor for fish that you want to add in the future. I have a lot of tangs, so ich is always the top alert; I had two clowns that once show small white spots, but I am pretty sure they have carried ich all the time coz when they get QTed with a powder brown, the powder brown got ich all over the place.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The newly cycled DT will only have live rock and sand i when the clutch of Clownfish is introduced...I will run it for at least 2 months just adding food daily to the fishless tank to ensure its cycled properly.
Would you still go through the QT process?

You don't need to cycle it for two months.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the extra work of QT and buy directly from a reputable breeder such as Vossen aquatics.

Otherwise QT if the fish are from a LFS or anywhere random/unknown breeder

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 87 42.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 99 48.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back