Quarantine Questions

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! If anyone has seen my last post, the Melanurus is completely fine! I was worried over nothing.
Anyway, I have some questions regarding quarantining my fish. So I have a 39 set up with 5 fish currently in it; tribal blenny, royal gramma, firefish, bluestreak cleaner wrasse, and a striped fangblenny. All have undergone either Copper or TTM (wrasse). I also have a 10 for my baby biota dragonets, which I ran TTM with them as well. And currently, I am running TTM with a Melanurus wrasse and a clownfish. I know that what I have done for them has eliminated ich, but what I would like to know is what else should I treat fish with before they go into their tanks (76 days is complete on Nov 17th). My LFS recommended prazi and metro, which I have both of. Will using these be enough for all of the fish? Or should I do something else for the clown if he could potentially be caring Brook? I am very new to quarantine but want to make sure I never experience something like ich again, so I want to make sure I do everything right.
Thank you!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you did your research! Kudos to you for trying to keep your livestock healthy! :D

I’ll let the disease experts assist you. :)

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an odd ball. I haven't used copper in years. I will usually let the fish sit at the store a few week (lfs uses low level copper). Then they go into my observation tank for 2-3 months. I treat twice with prazi.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an odd ball. I haven't used copper in years. I will usually let the fish sit at the store a few week (lfs uses low level copper). Then they go into my observation tank for 2-3 months. I treat twice with prazi.
Well my fish actually had ich. I made the mistake of buying from petco. I used copper and TTM to eradicate it.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my fish actually had ich. I made the mistake of buying from petco. I used copper and TTM to eradicate it.
Oh if mine showed signs of ich they would go to the hospital tank for Copper power. I have been lucky/overly selective to avoid this for now. I would treat your fish, especially the wrasse, with 2 rounds of prazi.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh if mine showed signs of ich they would go to the hospital tank for Copper power. I have been lucky/overly selective to avoid this for now. I would treat your fish, especially the wrasse, with 2 rounds of prazi.
Do you think just prazi is enough?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all! If anyone has seen my last post, the Melanurus is completely fine! I was worried over nothing.
Anyway, I have some questions regarding quarantining my fish. So I have a 39 set up with 5 fish currently in it; tribal blenny, royal gramma, firefish, bluestreak cleaner wrasse, and a striped fangblenny. All have undergone either Copper or TTM (wrasse). I also have a 10 for my baby biota dragonets, which I ran TTM with them as well. And currently, I am running TTM with a Melanurus wrasse and a clownfish. I know that what I have done for them has eliminated ich, but what I would like to know is what else should I treat fish with before they go into their tanks (76 days is complete on Nov 17th). My LFS recommended prazi and metro, which I have both of. Will using these be enough for all of the fish? Or should I do something else for the clown if he could potentially be caring Brook? I am very new to quarantine but want to make sure I never experience something like ich again, so I want to make sure I do everything right.
Thank you!
You can treat with PraziPro for 8 days interval (one dose) , change water and one more 8 day interval and should be good

Last edited:

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think just prazi is enough?
I've never used metronidazole. As Jay has pointed out before, how do you get the right dose in the fishes tissues without over or under dosing? I know people have used focus to bind to food. I tried this once and seemed very hokey to me. Hits the water, some comes right off, fish only eats a portion.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back