Quarantine Tank Ammonia issue

Giordano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup my first quarantine tank last week as I had a powder brown tang and bi-color angel on the way. I pulled the water from my 90-gallon tank followed directions on here and thought I was good. I did one water change about 30% so far after I went to the LFS and they tested and said ammonia was way off and not sure how teh fish were still alive. Which freaked me out as my test was not showing that.

I have been adding SeaChem Stability daily and Dr Tims One and Only.

Nitrates 0
Nitrates 0
Ammonia between .25 and .50

I have tested with 2 API test kits I have.

Apparently I am an idiot as I read some people cycle a few weeks first and others do a 24-hour cycle.

What has worked for you?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the LFS basically demonstrated not to trust their testing.

API gives a false positive. If you fish are fine, your ammonia is fine. I'd get an ammonia badge.

brandon clow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any specific ammonia test that you recommend? that is accurate

I would go with the Salifert. As for the badge, I use one for copper treatments in my QT and it hasn't steered me wrong yet. Originally I was looking for a way to know ammonia levels when using medications and was steered this way from plenty of humblefish threads.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS says ammonia so high fish should be dead, but fish are not dead all but disqualifying their ammonia test. But they frown upon an ammonia tag. I would not be using that LFS anymore.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia's the biggest killer of fish in QT.Even a well seeded filter has trouble with ammonia after adding copper, at first.Then the bacteria builds back up and a tolerance for copper.

OP
OP
Giordano

Giordano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS says ammonia so high fish should be dead, but fish are not dead all but disqualifying their ammonia test. But they frown upon an ammonia tag. I would not be using that LFS anymore.
agreed :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back