Quarantine Tank/Blue Hippo Tang

bradym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I have just a general question in regards to setting up a quarantine tank as I am prepping to get an adolescent blue hippo tang. I have a 100g DT established for almost a year now doing well. I have researched online and could not seem to find an answer but I have a 20 gallon tank from prior use. I also am currently running 2 HOB filters on my DT. Can I use the tank water from my established tank that I take out from water change and use one of my two HOB filters in the QT and be able to use instantly without the need to cycle? I guess I am just wondering if I am using all fully cycled equipment would my QT be ready instantly or not.

This is the first time I am going to be keeping a blue hippo tang and I am nervous due to all the others that have stated that BHT is prone to Ich. Any tips on keeping a BHT?

Thanks in advance!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I have just a general question in regards to setting up a quarantine tank as I am prepping to get an adolescent blue hippo tang. I have a 100g DT established for almost a year now doing well. I have researched online and could not seem to find an answer but I have a 20 gallon tank from prior use. I also am currently running 2 HOB filters on my DT. Can I use the tank water from my established tank that I take out from water change and use one of my two HOB filters in the QT and be able to use instantly without the need to cycle? I guess I am just wondering if I am using all fully cycled equipment would my QT be ready instantly or not.

This is the first time I am going to be keeping a blue hippo tang and I am nervous due to all the others that have stated that BHT is prone to Ich. Any tips on keeping a BHT?

Thanks in advance!!
It will help the cycle, but may not establish it 100%. The vast majority of nitrifying bacteria live on surfaces, very little is in the water itself. If the filter has lots of old media in it, that’s good, if the media is new, it won’t have much bacteria in it.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back