Quarantine Tank Help (Size, Equipment, etc.)

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I was doing freshwater I never quarantined fish, but with the price of saltwater livestock, I’d rather be safe. So I have a few questions regarding quarantining. Worth noting my display is 55 Gallons.

1. If I’m just setting up and currently have no livestock in my display tank, should I still be quarantining my first fish (couple clowns)? Why or why not?

2. I plan to probably get some snails and maybe a Skunk Shrimp (at the same time possibly?) do I need to quarantine them? I heard snails you can just brush with a toothbrush and plop them in, shrimp not sure.

3. What’s the smallest size tank? I have a 20 Gallon kicking around, but not sure where to set it up. My Son also has an old 5 Gallon which is far easier to find a place to set it up, but is that too small? Or I can look to buy a cheap 10 Gallon possibly.

4. What would I need in the QT? Heater I assume is a given. No substrate I heard? Maybe a small live rock and/or bio media that’s seeded from display? Can use display tank water? Should I have a pump and/or filter on it?

5. How long do fish need to be quarantined before placing in DT?

6. Does your QT need to be medicated or only if you notice disease?

I hope that’s all the info needed haha But feel free to give extra tips/advice! :)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Yes, catching the fish and then running the tank without fish for 45-76 days is a huge pain in the butt. Also uronema can not be removed if it gets in your DT.

2. This is up to you. They can carry disease but it is less likely. It does happen though. You would have to QT them in a tank without fish for a few weeks. I don’t believe brushing a snail shell is 100 percent even if you use peroxide as they harbor water inside the shells. You could add the snails/crabs/shrimp before fish and add the first fish 45 or more days after. Basically the cuc would be in the tank while you QT your first fish anyways. The parasites will die off without a fish host.

Anything wet can bring in disease so even corals can. Worth knowing.

3. 10-20g… 20 for bigger fish. You could always fill a 20g up halfway for smaller fish so it’s like a 10g.

4. I use a sponge filter and air pump and hiding spots. Fake decor and plants. I use some substrate with sand sleepers and a lid.

5. Copper is 30 days. Longer if you plan or need to do more then copper. However some people like to observe the fish after for a few weeks.

6. This is personal preference. I have found when I do observational QT only that it works well to keep velvet and brook out of the display tank but stuff like Ich can get through. Ich seems to be able to go undetected for long periods… months. Some people only care about velvet and not ich and such. So it depends.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Yes, catching the fish and then running the tank without fish for 45-76 days is a huge pain in the butt. Also uronema can not be removed if it gets in your DT.

2. This is up to you. They can carry disease but it is less likely. It does happen though. You would have to QT them in a tank without fish for a few weeks. I don’t believe brushing a snail shell is 100 percent even if you use peroxide as they harbor water inside the shells. You could add the snails/crabs/shrimp before fish and add the first fish 45 or more days after. Basically the cuc would be in the tank while you QT your first fish anyways. The parasites will die off without a fish host.

Anything wet can bring in disease so even corals can. Worth knowing.

3. 10-20g… 20 for bigger fish. You could always fill a 20g up halfway for smaller fish so it’s like a 10g.

4. I use a sponge filter and air pump and hiding spots. Fake decor and plants. I use some substrate with sand sleepers and a lid.

5. Copper is 30 days. Longer if you plan or need to do more then copper. However some people like to observe the fish after for a few weeks.

6. This is personal preference. I have found when I do observational QT only that it works well to keep velvet and brook out of the display tank but stuff like Ich can get through. Ich seems to be able to go undetected for long periods… months. Some people only care about velvet and not ich and such. So it depends.
Meh So So GIF by UFC

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 122 43.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 136 48.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back