QT vs observe new fish

kgballer321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question: do i QT my new fish to go into DT that’s never been quarantined?

I am considering QTing 2 new fish purchased from Liveaquaria, a Midas blenny and fairy wrasse.

But I have ONLY observed my fish in the past and have had no deaths.. I have pair of clowns and a possum wrasse in my 50 gal DT.. the last fish was introduced 3 years ago but I also have non-quarantined CUC, corals, and bubble tip anemones..

1. Do I Feed and Observe new fish for days-weeks in the QT (but do Not prophylactic treat unless indicated)

2. Prophylactically treat only the new fish in the QT 2-4 weeks (but may be susceptible to getting diseases from the non quarantined DT)

3. Or Capture my 3 existing fish in the display tank and quarantine/ Prophylactically treat all fish at once?

Thank you

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preference is to assume all incoming fish are sick and treat them with copper and prazipro unless something else shows up that copper doesn't treat. I'm not sure about wrasses, I think some are sensitive to copper so you'd have to research that.

My thinking is that it's way less painful to QT and treat new fish than it is to get an infection in my display.

If your current fish are showing no problems for three years I wouldn't pull them out and treat them

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am considering QTing 2 new fish purchased from Liveaquaria, a Midas blenny and fairy wrasse.

But I have ONLY observed my fish in the past and have had no deaths.. I have pair of clowns and a possum wrasse in my 50 gal DT.. the last fish was introduced 3 years ago but I also have non-quarantined CUC, corals, and bubble tip anemones..

1. Do I Feed and Observe new fish for days-weeks in the QT (but do Not prophylactic treat unless indicated)

2. Prophylactically treat only the new fish in the QT 2-4 weeks (but may be susceptible to getting diseases from the non quarantined DT)

3. Or Capture my 3 existing fish in the display tank and quarantine/ Prophylactically treat all fish at once?

Thank you
QT the new fish. It's more like 6-8 weeks tho.

If I know where the fish came from and can physically talk to the person I still do a 3 week QT if I think they are safe.

OP
OP
K

kgballer321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preference is to assume all incoming fish are sick and treat them with copper and prazipro unless something else shows up that copper doesn't treat. I'm not sure about wrasses, I think some are sensitive to copper so you'd have to research that.

My thinking is that it's way less painful to QT and treat new fish than it is to get an infection in my display.

If your current fish are showing no problems for three years I wouldn't pull them out and treat them
QT the new fish. It's more like 6-8 weeks tho.

If I know where the fish came from and can physically talk to the person I still do a 3 week QT if I think they are safe.

If your current fish are showing no problems for three years I wouldn't pull them out and treat t

I appreciate your advice. Yes i have no problem treating the new fish for peace of mind sake but ultimately i know that there’s probably something in my display tank that they will have to overcome (ick, flukes) but it may not feasible to capture and treat my preexisting fish

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thank you
The 'correct' way - which may be impractical - would be to treat all of your fish the same i.e. QT all of them - and then fallow the tank. However, you should QT/treat your new fish to ensure that they don't bring something new into your DT that could affect your old fish. Just because they were not QT'd does not mean they are resistant or immune to disease. So to answer your questions:

1. If you're fairly sure that you can identify all of the potential fish diseases this would be an option. I would say 'no'.
2. I would use the R2R protocol rather than 2-4 weeks
3. Again 3 would be the most compulsive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back