Quarantine Tank Help

jscampbell4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are relatively new to reefing and have gone all in with a Waterbox 220.6. We've decided moving forward to set up our own quarantine tank. My question is about the size/dimensions. In others experience, what is the best size/setup? 20 gallon? 29 gallon? Long vs tall? Any other tidbits of knowledge would be helpful! We plan to get our fish small, but want flexibility in the event that an older fish down the road needs to be quarantined. Thanks!

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40breeder as my QT tank, but I think that’s on the bigger side. For most sized fish, a 20g tank is just fine. If you have room, long is better than tall. A good lid is important unless you’re filling the tank partially to prevent jumping.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I do the 36 hr TTM method this might not pertain to you.
I use 2ea 20 gallon long tanks. Will do 3 fish easy.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least 20g.
Glass, sponge filter, heater, desk lamp, plastic pipe fittings.
I do not cycle, I keep it simple, I don’t medicate unless I have a reason to do so.
If they eat well, behave well, look good, 14 days and in they go.
I can’t count the number of fish which die in excessive QT time and multi meds.
Feed well, feed high protein, feed frequently but in small quantities, feed variety.
This results in fish strong and more resistant to disease.

Also, I am a huge fan of @lapins method.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, when it comes to QT, less is more.

20-gal has worked best for me. I tried working with a 10-gal, but some species like Niger Trigger don't do well at all in a small tank. I feel anything over a 20-gal and you're spending too much money on meds and water changes. Since QTs tend to be new(er) setups, you wind up doing fairly frequent water changes to keep ammonia in check, or at least I do. Plus, you can't run carbon, can't run UV, often times must frequently toss the filtration media, and absolutely positively MUST keep everything isolated because it will probably have absorbed copper.

Bare bottom is good. I use black ABS panels underneath and behind to limit light and it definitely helps calm the fish to have a mostly blacked-out environment.

Heavy aeration is essential.

Cheap submersible LED light off Amazon with basic timer.

HOB filtration most definitely. I prefer a controllable big HOB in a 20, like the Seachem Tidal-110. Love that filter and I can dial it up or down to suit my intentions with particular fish.

OP
OP
J

jscampbell4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, when it comes to QT, less is more.

20-gal has worked best for me. I tried working with a 10-gal, but some species like Niger Trigger don't do well at all in a small tank. I feel anything over a 20-gal and you're spending too much money on meds and water changes. Since QTs tend to be new(er) setups, you wind up doing fairly frequent water changes to keep ammonia in check, or at least I do. Plus, you can't run carbon, can't run UV, often times must frequently toss the filtration media, and absolutely positively MUST keep everything isolated because it will probably have absorbed copper.

Bare bottom is good. I use black ABS panels underneath and behind to limit light and it definitely helps calm the fish to have a mostly blacked-out environment.

Heavy aeration is essential.

Cheap submersible LED light off Amazon with basic timer.

HOB filtration most definitely. I prefer a controllable big HOB in a 20, like the Seachem Tidal-110. Love that filter and I can dial it up or down to suit my intentions with particular fish.
Thanks! Can you explain the submersible light? Vs some people say a desk lamp or an actual aquarium led light?

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a good article to read.

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least 20g.
Glass, sponge filter, heater, desk lamp, plastic pipe fittings.
I do not cycle, I keep it simple, I don’t medicate unless I have a reason to do so.
If they eat well, behave well, look good, 14 days and in they go.
I can’t count the number of fish which die in excessive QT time and multi meds.
Feed well, feed high protein, feed frequently but in small quantities, feed variety.
This results in fish strong and more resistant to disease.

Also, I am a huge fan of @lapins method.
My LFS quarantines and medicates. I still ended up with ich. I “treated” with polyplab medic. Haven’t had an issue in about 6 months. Tank is 10 months old and my first salt/reef tank. I am contemplating getting some tangs but I know the can be ich magnets. I’m concerned about adding fish and having an ich outbreak. I’ve been told to get a quarantine tank and let my tank go fallow by some and others say get a UV sterilizer. Your comment says 14 days and in they go... what about ich?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back