Quarantine tank Help

jwilkey2468

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon breeder tank cycling right now and am not sure if I want to set up a quarantine tank or not. I have access to a 20 gallon high tank but don't want to put much money into the tank at all. Any suggestions for a cheap setup? Also say I make a quarantine tank, a fish should stay in there for about a month, feeding it regularly. What should I be looking for when the fish is in the tank? What are the red flags?

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just starting out, my first fish I didn’t quarantine and died of velvet in week 3. I have to run that tank fallow now til February. I am now quarantining three fish, 1 showed ich on the 2nd week, the other fish in the other tank looks like he might have flukes. Do yourself a favor and quarantine. You’re wasting money and time if you don’t.

Set up is just a filter, any kind of light, tank cover, some pvc pieces and you can add marbles to create more surface area for bacteria to grow on and you can disinfect them easily after quarantine

look up humble fish quarantine and follow his instructions

like I said I am new to the hobby but have learned the lesson on the first fish

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make it whatever you want. I’m currently using an Aquaclear HOB to hold the bio media I took from my DT. I have a sponge, flow pump, heater and ato. Everything I already had. I picked up the ato so I wouldn’t have to top off by hand anymore. Started with 3 fish and I’m down to one. Lost a firefish that jumped twice. Survived the first attempt at suicide and succeeded the second. Also lost my goby to what was probably a gill disease. Almost done with copper on the wrasse. I’ll keep it going after this with a couple more fish.

0DF01F99-B399-4C48-BFA2-4C2175892C1F.jpeg

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a 20 Gallon with a AIO Fijibox for filtration and wanted to ask if and how can I make a coral and fish quarantine tank with this one tank ? any Ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

OP
OP
J

jwilkey2468

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a 20 Gallon with a AIO Fijibox for filtration and wanted to ask if and how can I make a coral and fish quarantine tank with this one tank ? any Ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
I ended up going with a 20 gallon tank for my QT as well. All you need is a tank, filter, cover, heater, and something for the fish to hide in to make them feel more comfortable (I used a PVC pipe). But yeah you should be good. I would just put some beneficial bacteria in there and monitor the tank until it’s cycled. I didn’t use sand and I’m adding my first fish this weekend!

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with a 20 gallon tank for my QT as well. All you need is a tank, filter, cover, heater, and something for the fish to hide in to make them feel more comfortable (I used a PVC pipe). But yeah you should be good. I would just put some beneficial bacteria in there and monitor the tank until it’s cycled. I didn’t use sand and I’m adding my first fish this weekend!
Thank you! I’m just more concern about using it for both Coral and Fish , has anyone devided the tank in two with a glass so I. Case you need to treat a fish so it does not impact the corals .. has anyone done this or is to risky ?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want to treat corals and fish in the same tank. All effective medicines will harm the corals, and separating the tank wouldn’t really work (you might as well get a separate tank). My advice, start by getting all the fish you want and qt them (don’t overstock the qt obviously), and then clean out the qt tank and use it for corals. Just hold corals and inverts in there for 76 days and repeat.
FWIW I don’t qt corals or inverts (though I probably should) and haven’t had problems on that front. My tank is small though so not much chance of error.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back