Quarantine tank questions

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So right now I am curing the rock for my tank. Which I am finding out is going to be a long process. But Petco is having their dollar a gallon sale on their tanks right now. So I am wanting to start working on my quarantine tank, but I have a few questions.

What size do you recommend
What equipment is necessary for it.

I know a heater but what else do you have on yours and in yours?

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend getting two tanks which are necessary if you are going to follow the tank to tank method. I use 20 longs for this. I run Fluval HOB filters. The C series filters have lots of room for filter media. I keep ceramic noodles in my DT sump at all times. Simply grab a hand full and throw it in the filter. The bacteria from the main tank will help keep things in check for your new fish. PVC for hiding, air stone, and I personally don't run lights in Qt. Simple ambient lighting when they are in Qt. At any time through the TTM medications can be added if something were to show up. Once the fish go through the TTM they will go into a cycled 40 gal for observation. After a few months, they are ready for the DT.
I know there are some great write-ups on the TTM. Definitely check them out. Happy Reefing Paul C.

OP
OP
EHaddad

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend getting two tanks which are necessary if you are going to follow the tank to tank method. I use 20 longs for this. I run Fluval HOB filters. The C series filters have lots of room for filter media. I keep ceramic noodles in my DT sump at all times. Simply grab a hand full and throw it in the filter. The bacteria from the main tank will help keep things in check for your new fish. PVC for hiding, air stone, and I personally don't run lights in Qt. Simple ambient lighting when they are in Qt. At any time through the TTM medications can be added if something were to show up. Once the fish go through the TTM they will go into a cycled 40 gal for observation. After a few months, they are ready for the DT.
I know there are some great write-ups on the TTM. Definitely check them out. Happy Reefing Paul C.
Can you explain the reasoning behind two quarantine tanks?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM = Tank transfer method.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-method.192655/

I use 2ea 10 gallon tanks. I do not buy large full grown fish. I added a short 3 inch tall divider to section off 4" of the bottom. This portion gets filled with sand. Certain fish require sand for sleeping and hiding. This makes them more comfortable, which reduces stress. Sand is cheap and I toss it into the flower beds each transfer.
I run a heater and an air stone for water movement (oxygen).
Also a screen for a cover. I use cardboard taped to the back and 2 sides so they feel safer.
Since I transfer them every 2 to 3 days I dont worry too much about ammonia buildup. I do keep Prime on hand just in case.

Last edited:

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read that article above. Paul gave good advice. I saw on here a few years ago a guy lined up containers. Found it 2015. This is not as expensive.
Screenshot_20190303-111129_Chrome.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t do TT either. A 20 long will suffice for all but the largest of fish. You want a heater, obviously, some kind of nominal light source (assuming fish) a hang-on-back filter and possibly even a small powerhead. An ammonia badge is also a good idea along with some ammonia detoxifier like prime (though don’t ever use it with copper meds). You also need to work out how to ‘seed’ the QT. I typically keep a few cups of biomedia in mesh bags in my main sump that I can use when a QT is needed.

Kendrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a sponge filter in my QT tanks. I seed it by placing it in my sump the week before getting fish to QT. I then move it to the QT and it cycles quickly. The only downside is that sponge filters require an air pump which makes noise. I have my QT in my basement so it isn't a huge deal.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back