Quarantine tank size

saltysilverado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g hexagon flat back and was trying to decide what is the perfect size tank for a quarantine and what size chiller do I need? Also, who recommends a hob penguin 350?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Pretty much any size tank will work provided it is not so small that it adds stress to the fish.
Many people use 20 tanks. I was given a 29 gallon tank about 10 years ago that I use.
Not sure why you would need a chiller for it.

The 55 hex is your display tank?

I use a air driven sponge filter that I keep in my sump of my display tank to seed it with bacteria. Then when I plan on getting a new fish I move it to the 29 and add fresh saltwater.
I also use a smaller powerhead and a small back filter that I can add carbon to if I need it.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on whether or not your garage is insulted (most in Florida are not) you may need that chiller. Here in Brevard County my garage runs from about 78 to the high 90's, depending on the time of day and if it's overcast or not. The 20 would be quite sufficient for the tang. Just make sure you've completed the ammonia cycle and the QT has sufficient bacterial levels to avoid another spike. I jumped the gun last month and lost both my QT'd ocellaris before I realized what was going on......... duh! Live and learn. Feel bad about the fish though.

OP
OP
saltysilverado

saltysilverado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at a saltwater store so I'm gonna buy the tank and set up a filter and use synthetic salt water to set it up and let it cycle

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back