Quarantine/treat

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going the copper then Prazi route in quarantine from now on. Question: why is it recommended that fish be moved to a sterile tank after copper? If cooper kills the parasites, and a water change and carbon pull the copper out, why the new tank?
Thx :)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper kills the parasites while they're in the water column. The cysts could potentially hatch after the copper is gone and reinfect the fish.

So, two weeks in copper, then move the fish to another tank is a safe way to do it. You could possibly keep the copper treatment going longer and not have to move the fish.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper kills the parasites while they're in the water column. The cysts could potentially hatch after the copper is gone and reinfect the fish.

So, two weeks in copper, then move the fish to another tank is a safe way to do it. You could possibly keep the copper treatment going longer and not have to move the fish.

Oh wow. So an important step then. Thanks. Glad I asked!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going the copper then Prazi route in quarantine from now on. Question: why is it recommended that fish be moved to a sterile tank after copper? If cooper kills the parasites, and a water change and carbon pull the copper out, why the new tank?
Thx :)
Copper is after all a poison and with some fish, liver and or kidney damage can result from the copper treatment, ultimately shortening the life of the fish. Especially if the copper is overdosed. So a shorter treatment equates to less possible physical damage. Some fish like wrasses, anthias, some tangs, etc. do not do well in copper as their immune systems are suppressed by the copper. So after 14 days of therapeutic level, you can move to a fresh QT to observe that the parasites are indeed gone (sometimes a second round of copper is needed).

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is after all a poison and with some fish, liver and or kidney damage can result from the copper treatment, ultimately shortening the life of the fish. Especially if the copper is overdosed. So a shorter treatment equates to less possible physical damage. Some fish like wrasses, anthias, some tangs, etc. do not do well in copper as their immune systems are suppressed by the copper. So after 14 days of therapeutic level, you can move to a fresh QT to observe that the parasites are indeed gone (sometimes a second round of copper is needed).

I really try to avoid copper but it was a necessary evil this time I’m afraid. Any idea how long between treatments is considered safe? I’m treating velvet and, 1 day before the treatment is up, I see my coral beauty scratching :( I’m thinking a 1 week observation and then reassess?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really try to avoid copper but it was a necessary evil this time I’m afraid. Any idea how long between treatments is considered safe? I’m treating velvet and, 1 day before the treatment is up, I see my coral beauty scratching :( I’m thinking a 1 week observation and then reassess?

10-14 days of observation as you remove the copper from the water is IMO a good thing.

Sometimes the scratching is the fish's skin gets sensitive during copper.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-14 days of observation as you remove the copper from the water is IMO a good thing.

Sometimes the scratching is the fish's skin gets sensitive during copper.

DT going fallow 76 days so we’ve got tons of time to observe. Gonna put em in sterile qt tomorrow or the next day, observe, and proceed accordingly. Thank you for the advice

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back