Quarentine Question...

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey...I've read a lot of posts and have learned a lot. Im currently quarentining for the first time and just want to clarify something before I move ahead with adding meds.

Currently housed 2 banggai cardinals in quarentine...one unfortunately passed away 2 weeks into quarentine...i did NOT medicate at that time. I live in Canada and it has been challenging to get my hands on meds but managed to get my hands on:

Cupramine
METROPLEX
Prazipro

Right now my cardinal is alone...and is at full dose of cupramine for 2 weeks. Currently the fish does not really have an appetite as before but looks stable.

I read quarentine posts that state it is ok to add metro during copper...but thought I'd investigate if metro can be used with cupramine...on the bottle it says to NOT mix meds.

So my question is, can these 2 meds be mixed?
Should I mix them?
Or just treat with prazipro (prophylacticlly) after cupramine treatment after 30 days?

The only symptom my fish has right now is loss of appetite. Which happened after its buddy passed away. So I dont know if it is behavioral or medical induced LOA.

Thanks

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey...I've read a lot of posts and have learned a lot. Im currently quarentining for the first time and just want to clarify something before I move ahead with adding meds.

Currently housed 2 banggai cardinals in quarentine...one unfortunately passed away 2 weeks into quarentine...i did NOT medicate at that time. I live in Canada and it has been challenging to get my hands on meds but managed to get my hands on:

Cupramine
METROPLEX
Prazipro

Right now my cardinal is alone...and is at full dose of cupramine for 2 weeks. Currently the fish does not really have an appetite as before but looks stable.

I read quarentine posts that state it is ok to add metro during copper...but thought I'd investigate if metro can be used with cupramine...on the bottle it says to NOT mix meds.

So my question is, can these 2 meds be mixed?
Should I mix them?
Or just treat with prazipro (prophylacticlly) after cupramine treatment after 30 days?

The only symptom my fish has right now is loss of appetite. Which happened after its buddy passed away. So I dont know if it is behavioral or medical induced LOA.

Thanks

Yes you can combine cupramine and metroplex. Just make sure you agitate the water surface more aggressively as it depletes oxygen levels.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All medications and particular copper can decrease appetite. Addition of Prazi or Metronidazole can severely decrease O2, as mentioned before. I thin it would be better to go one after the other if you can.
What would be the rationale for metronidazole though?

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All medications and particular copper can decrease appetite. Addition of Prazi or Metronidazole can severely decrease O2, as mentioned before. I thin it would be better to go one after the other if you can.

A lot of people prophylacticlly treat their fish ive read here. I didn't plan on medicating my 2 fish but after 2 weeks one of mine died. Had stringy poop, stopped eating and died.

So I decided to treat. First starting with cupramime, then move to metro (internal parasites vs cupramime external?), and then prazipro??

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is I would believe commonly used for 2 courses prophylactic.
Copper works only on ick and velvet. Most observe before treatment or tank transfer method.
Internal parasites are somewhat difficult. Mucous stools can occur as differential diagnosis, but if indeed present (long white sting from anus), than it would really have to be given food bound.
Good luck!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back