Quarentine transfer methods

Ckdada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so I currently have one qt take which I use for all my fish and treat with copper power/etc and I was wondering without having a second qt tank, how do I safely transfer fish from copper to my DT without adding a small amount of copper but while not stressing out the fish too much?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't eliminate the copper first and then observe it in clean non-medicated water for a couple weeks before transferring?

Water changes in the QT first to remove the copper (or any other medications you used). Whatever is left after a water change, use activated carbon, poly filter or cuprisorb (for copper specifically) to remove it. Then transfer the fish out of QT.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a 5 gallon bucket of clean DT water. put the fish from the QT in the bucket. let is swim a bit, then transfer to DT. if you can, don't use a net for the transfer, use a clear container.

FWIW, i wondered the same thing, till someone made this suggestion. good luck!

OP
OP
Ckdada

Ckdada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do this but I bought fish a few weeks apart and didn’t want to lower the copper level yet thanks!

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of copper treatment I remove the copper and monitor a full week before he goes in the DT. However depending on the volume of your DT if you were to catch the fish by hand and transfer I really question whether that small amount of copper on the body would make a difference. I could understand not taking the risk though.

Back