Quarentining Midas Blenny?

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Any suggestions when quarantining a Midas Blenny? Obv I have a bare bottom quarantine tank. Do you medicate? What to make sure to have in the tank for them. Or just throw in display tank? lol

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome fish! One of my favorites!

I definitely wouldn't throw a fish right into my DT...I am a proponent of quarantining them and prophylacticallly treating for issues.

1. Make sure you have a lid on the quarantine tank...they can be jumpers. I typically use a 10g tank and keep the water about 3-4 inches below the top so a jumper has a harder time making it out of the tank...I also use an egg-crate cover.

2. The midas blenny is going to "darken" up when it is stressed. They like having places to hide. Put in several PVC pieces for him to hide in...or hide next to. Keep direct lights off the quarantine tank. I also throw in some fake coral pieces and fake aquarium plants to break up the sterile look of the tank and reduce their stress levels.

3. These typically handle copper treatments well...my regimen:
- 30 days copper
- 2 doses PraziPro
- Feeding medicated foods (General Cure + Focus + frozen mysis shrimp) 2x/day for 10-14 days. I start this AFTER I see the fish is adapting well and eating normally. The copper treatment may suppress feeding a little...I haven't had many issues with this though.

Good lucks!

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome fish! One of my favorites!

I definitely wouldn't throw a fish right into my DT...I am a proponent of quarantining them and prophylacticallly treating for issues.

1. Make sure you have a lid on the quarantine tank...they can be jumpers. I typically use a 10g tank and keep the water about 3-4 inches below the top so a jumper has a harder time making it out of the tank...I also use an egg-crate cover.

2. The midas blenny is going to "darken" up when it is stressed. They like having places to hide. Put in several PVC pieces for him to hide in...or hide next to. Keep direct lights off the quarantine tank. I also throw in some fake coral pieces and fake aquarium plants to break up the sterile look of the tank and reduce their stress levels.

3. These typically handle copper treatments well...my regimen:
- 30 days copper
- 2 doses PraziPro
- Feeding medicated foods (General Cure + Focus + frozen mysis shrimp) 2x/day for 10-14 days. I start this AFTER I see the fish is adapting well and eating normally. The copper treatment may suppress feeding a little...I haven't had many issues with this though.

Good lucks!
Awesome! Great Tips! Looks like it'll be a nice addition to our tank!

colossal_tater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what a stressed out midas blenny looks like. Mine was shipped to me, so it took a couple days for him to go back to yellow. After that he took a full QT treatment like a champ. Copper, prazi, etc.

tempImageENwym8.png

Andrescol87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some rock is always ba good idea. They like holes and it will help with bio filtration, do not medicate unless it shows signs of disease. Live foods the first days and you have it in the pocket. Do not forget to put a lid... They are famous jumpers.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some rock is always ba good idea. They like holes and it will help with bio filtration, do not medicate unless it shows signs of disease. Live foods the first days and you have it in the pocket. Do not forget to put a lid... They are famous jumpers.
Thanks I appreciate your input

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what a stressed out midas blenny looks like. Mine was shipped to me, so it took a couple days for him to go back to yellow. After that he took a full QT treatment like a champ. Copper, prazi, etc.

tempImageENwym8.png
This is what mine looks like right now...poor thing is stressed. I live in Canada, and fish medication is illegal here, ugh. I don't have copper, but I have Metro and Prazipro. Will get him eating and comfy first and then start to treat.

I'm only letting natural light be on it today. Tomorrow we will have the timing lights on the tank.
20210220_161452.jpg
20210220_161517.jpg

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I know treating with Copper is ideal if you are prophylactically treating in Quarentine. But, since I don't have any copper (dang Canada), what would you recommend. Only meds I have in stock right now is General Cure, Metroplex, and Prazipro.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 42.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back