Question about alvepora

efish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically my alvepora goes from fully extended to a shriveled up raisin everyday... is this normal?

20230322_195249.jpg 20230202_150305.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So basically my alvepora goes from fully extended to a shriveled up raisin everyday... is this normal?

20230322_195249.jpg 20230202_150305.jpg
My alveopora and Goni do this many days for about 30 minutes. Assure they receive medium light and flow , are fed 3x a week with plankton type foods and A few drops of aminos daily and Manganese one day per week.
Also assure your nitrate and phosphate are not elevated as I believe I see Cyano in the pics.
Please post a pic of entire tank

OP
OP
efish

efish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alveopora and Goni do this many days for about 30 minutes. Assure they receive medium light and flow , are fed 3x a week with plankton type foods and A few drops of aminos daily and Manganese one day per week.
Also assure your nitrate and phosphate are not elevated as I believe I see Cyano in the pics.
Please post a pic of entire tank
Yes! You do see cyano I am currently dealing with a large fluctuation with nitrates and phosphates due to the fact I gave away all the fish in my tank because they were causing a gha outbreak that I could not deal with at the time

Attachments

• 20230322_200952.jpg
    20230322_200952.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 23

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes! You do see cyano I am currently dealing with a large fluctuation with nitrates and phosphates due to the fact I gave away all the fish in my tank because they were causing a gha outbreak that I could not deal with at the time
Seeing this and GHA. . . Is tank at or near a window?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?

Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the 5 days, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

OP
OP
efish

efish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing this and GHA. . . Is tank at or near a window?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?

Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the 5 days, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.
The tank is across the tank from a window but I don't know where else to put it, yes I'm using a rodi unit, I do not have a skimmer because of the small water volume of the tank, I got the "cured" live rock from a very shoddy fish store that is going out of business and I just found out mistreat all their animals so that may be a cause, I do 25% water changes weekly, I added a new pump to increase flow, I tried the reduced light the only thing it did was stress out my corals, I added a ton of copepods and bacteria, no pet stores near me sell live astrea snails(if they are alive they have over 20 parasites each), but yeah I'm leaning towards the main cause of these blooms to be bad sourced rock, man I really should have known better! Sorry.

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna go on a limb here and say this is not from poorly sourced rock. Cyano and gha are directly related to excessive nutrients in the water. With no parameters posted, everything else is just speculation. This is also likely causing the alveopora tiene be irritated as well. But again, with no params, it’s hard to say. We need nitrate and phos numbers at a min, but I’d say take it one step further and get readings on everything.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The tank is across the tank from a window but I don't know where else to put it, yes I'm using a rodi unit, I do not have a skimmer because of the small water volume of the tank, I got the "cured" live rock from a very shoddy fish store that is going out of business and I just found out mistreat all their animals so that may be a cause, I do 25% water changes weekly, I added a new pump to increase flow, I tried the reduced light the only thing it did was stress out my corals, I added a ton of copepods and bacteria, no pet stores near me sell live astrea snails(if they are alive they have over 20 parasites each), but yeah I'm leaning towards the main cause of these blooms to be bad sourced rock, man I really should have known better! Sorry.
I had some suspects including window and understand. As for skimmer- You will do well with an IceCap K1-50 made for nano and is a hang on unit. Works like a full size skimmer (coralvue.com)
Window- UV is strong - get yourself a sheet of black construction paper from Walmart and place on side of tank facing window and you will see a drastic change.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alveopera and goniopera withdraw at night.
I think many lps do. Torches, hammers, trumpets

OP
OP
efish

efish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some suspects including window and understand. As for skimmer- You will do well with an IceCap K1-50 made for nano and is a hang on unit. Works like a full size skimmer (coralvue.com)
Window- UV is strong - get yourself a sheet of black construction paper from Walmart and place on side of tank facing window and you will see a drastic change.
Will do thank you so much, the tank I use is actually the fluval evo 13.5 so I doubt that skimmer would fit on such a small filtration

OP
OP
efish

efish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna go on a limb here and say this is not from poorly sourced rock. Cyano and gha are directly related to excessive nutrients in the water. With no parameters posted, everything else is just speculation. This is also likely causing the alveopora tiene be irritated as well. But again, with no params, it’s hard to say. We need nitrate and phos numbers at a min, but I’d say take it one step further and get readings on everything.
Oh shoot I forgot about parameters my bad, just checked em
Nitrate- 15ppm
Phos-.02
Alk-150ppm
Calcium- 450ppm
Salinity-1.026
I'm going to get a magnesium test kit next lfs visit sorry

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back