Question about blastomusa welsi

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hlo all. I have this blasto welsi that has been doing very well. It had 3 heads when I got it and now has too many to count. My concern is the lower portion that is not getting much light as it is being shaded by the top part. The part hanging down not really inflated is my concern. It appears to be just flesh with no Skelton. At least it feels that way when I touch it. I'm wondering if I should try fragging that part or will it die since there doesn't appear to be a skeleton? Or should I just leave it alone? This is my first blasto and one of few successfull grow outs after many failures so I don't want to do anything to risk the colony.

20210531_133447~3.jpg 20210531_133454~2.jpg

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hlo all. I have this blasto welsi that has been doing very well. It had 3 heads when I got it and now has too many to count. My concern is the lower portion that is not getting much light as it is being shaded by the top part. The part hanging down not really inflated is my concern. It appears to be just flesh with no Skelton. At least it feels that way when I touch it. I'm wondering if I should try fragging that part or will it die since there doesn't appear to be a skeleton? Or should I just leave it alone? This is my first blasto and one of few successfull grow outs after many failures so I don't want to do anything to risk the colony.

20210531_133447~3.jpg 20210531_133454~2.jpg
It will either develop skeleton to grow or they will die off. Both are normal coral behavior. If your calcium magnesium and alk are in line it should attempt to grow those polyps out from the base.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't checked mag lately but alk and cal are pretty constant around 8.2 alk and 440 cal so I'll just keep an eye on it and hopfully it will develop some skeleton and continue doing well. Thanks for the info. I've only been doing this a few years so still have a lot to learn. I always get antsy when a coral that has been doing really well starts to look different or stressed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back