question about corals fighting

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what was everyone view on corals fighting each other? At the beginning, I had less colonies and would try to frag or move them, but recently my view changed and I mostly let them fight each other. What do you do when you have 2 corals that grew so much that they start fighting with one of its neighbor? Do you try to keep em separated with rocks or by fragging? Do you let them fight and accept bets on the winner? Do you try to move all the colony to another place? Does it depend on the price/rarity of the piece?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trim them back if I can. It also depends on what species are about to grow into each other. Some species or same Genus corals can touch and grow next to each other with no issues, but others will completely kill another species if within inches of it, so I keep a closer eye on those.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the fun parts for me. I, kind of bonsai groom. I frag with an eye to the overall look Im trying to achieve. I try not to let corals fight it out too long. You never know when warfare will lead to a stress rtn.
I also believe all corals "taste" chemical signals in the water and I dont want any corals that are armed with chemical warfare like most softies getting the message that there is a war going on and decide to jump in the fight. That being said I dont rush in to break it up. I usually watch a bit to see weather the corals are actually fighting or just competing, grafting, or learning to accommodate each other.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back