Question about Flushing Dual Reactor

Nibejeebies

R2R is the reason for my Insomia
View Badges
Joined
Jan 6, 2016
Messages
1,149
Reaction score
566
Location
Lenoir City, Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey RT,
I changed out my media today, using the Reef Calc on BRS to get teh right about of GFO and Rox 0.8 and changed the media out. Went to flush and quite a bit of red dust (gfo) came through the carbon canister. There is even some at the bottom of the carbon canister insert in the reactor.

My question is, should I be flushing these canisters independently? My thinking is that the dusty fines from the GFO could clock the Rox 0.8 pore structure... but im no expert so I figured I would asked ya'll.
 
Hey RT,
I changed out my media today, using the Reef Calc on BRS to get teh right about of GFO and Rox 0.8 and changed the media out. Went to flush and quite a bit of red dust (gfo) came through the carbon canister. There is even some at the bottom of the carbon canister insert in the reactor.

My question is, should I be flushing these canisters independently? My thinking is that the dusty fines from the GFO could clock the Rox 0.8 pore structure... but im no expert so I figured I would asked ya'll.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much. It certainly wouldn't hurt flushing the GFO canister prior to installing the carbon, but we've always done them both at once and haven't noticed a significant change in performance. That's a fantastic question though. :)
 
Thanks RT!! btw, Glad your goiung to still be doing the 52 faq!

Thanks, happy to help :) Side note - I have heard of some folks seriously modding their dual reactor by un-bolting the canisters from the bracket and rotating them 90 degrees so the ports face outward. Then they plumb in a flush valve between the canisters to flush it. Like I said though, that's a lot of work for something that likely isn't an issue. :P
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 29.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new