Question about Flushing Dual Reactor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nibejeebies

R2R is the reason for my Insomia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey RT,
I changed out my media today, using the Reef Calc on BRS to get teh right about of GFO and Rox 0.8 and changed the media out. Went to flush and quite a bit of red dust (gfo) came through the carbon canister. There is even some at the bottom of the carbon canister insert in the reactor.

My question is, should I be flushing these canisters independently? My thinking is that the dusty fines from the GFO could clock the Rox 0.8 pore structure... but im no expert so I figured I would asked ya'll.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey RT,
I changed out my media today, using the Reef Calc on BRS to get teh right about of GFO and Rox 0.8 and changed the media out. Went to flush and quite a bit of red dust (gfo) came through the carbon canister. There is even some at the bottom of the carbon canister insert in the reactor.

My question is, should I be flushing these canisters independently? My thinking is that the dusty fines from the GFO could clock the Rox 0.8 pore structure... but im no expert so I figured I would asked ya'll.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much. It certainly wouldn't hurt flushing the GFO canister prior to installing the carbon, but we've always done them both at once and haven't noticed a significant change in performance. That's a fantastic question though. :)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks RT!! btw, Glad your goiung to still be doing the 52 faq!

Thanks, happy to help :) Side note - I have heard of some folks seriously modding their dual reactor by un-bolting the canisters from the bracket and rotating them 90 degrees so the ports face outward. Then they plumb in a flush valve between the canisters to flush it. Like I said though, that's a lot of work for something that likely isn't an issue. :p

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back