Question about having to quarantine my fish

Deep Dive Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have removed my fish from my main display and placed them in quarantine due to flukes and internal parasites. My question stems from the fact that I've been dosing ammonia into my display tank in the meantime to help avoid recycling the tank which has happened to me before. Is dosing Dr Tim's ammonium chloride into a reef with a starfish, porcelain crab, snails and a bunch of coral a bad idea or am I doing the right thing?. I have about another month and a half before I can reintroduce fish Thank you for the help.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a bad idea and i doubt the benefits are worth the risk. Nitrifying bacteria can live much longer than a month and a half without you dosing ammonia which is highly toxic even in small amounts. I'd highly advise that you ghost feed instead if you're still worried about your bacterial population.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t remember who on this site has done a lot of research on cycling and bacteria longevity…. You may be able to find some info through a search, “Bacteria population during fallow”.
I think it's @brandon429 you're thinking of and i can assure you based on previous posts of his that he wouldn't think you need to be adding ammonia to maintain the bacterial population for that short time period. I don't want to speak for him though which is why I tagged him.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back