Question about moving clam

njtiger aquariums

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 9, 2015
Messages
513
Reaction score
520
Location
NV
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys
About 12 days ago I picked up a clam. I was told it was a maximas clam. I read that they like high light and being on the rocks. I placed him on top of my rocks near the top of my tank. He has been there doing well until this morning I found him down on the sand. It does not look like he was knocked down cause the location wouldn't match up plus he is still standing up. He still seems to be doing well but the lights are off so I will see more when I get home from work. My question is does this seem normal for clams?
 
They do seem to appreciate a high amount of light but unless your lighting is really wimpy I would put it as low as I could so it's colors can be seen better. I usually put mine on the bottom. They can move a little bit on their own until they attach to something. If you want to try the sand you could put it on a plug or small flat rock then put a bit of sand around to try and hold it in place until it attaches. I don't think there is anything abnormal about your clam. Lets see a photo.
 
They do have the ability to move themselves to some degree. Clams have been known to "jump" off rocks if they don't like the spot they were placed in.
 
Thanks guys. I will post a picture later tonight when I get home. The funny part is I was going to put him in that spot until I learned they liked the rocks
 
Clam on the sand.

1445037823912.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new