Question about new pH module and calibration

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hooked up my new ph module and wonder if I calibrated the probe correctly. The apex display gives the values of 7 and 10 ph for calibrating. Does it matter that my solutions say 7.01 and 10.01? Also, does the temp of the calibration solution matter that much? The temp on mine was probably 74-75. It says on the packet that the std is 78 degrees. I’m wondering because the pH the apex is showing seems low. It’s 7.8 while my old standalone ph monitor reads 8.3. An API ph test read about 8.0. Should I calibrate it again? Any help is appreciated!!

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it matter that my solutions say 7.01 and 10.01?
The difference between 7.01 and 7.00 is so slight, it shouldn't effect things. You would get more of a variation from temp differences.

Also, does the temp of the calibration solution matter that much?
Yes; you should float them in the tank for a few minutes (I do 10min) before calibration. I keep them in the water during calibration as well (using a small "chip clip" to keep them in place.
Note that (assuming you have a properly calibrated temp probe on your Apex) you'll want to enable temperature correction if you have not already.

Check for any kind of power cables or powered equipment on or around the probe or the probe's wire. These probes are pretty sensitive to electronic interference and a power cable running parallel to the probe cable can throw off the reading in frustrating ways.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. The pH seems really low. I’ll move the probe away from power cords and see if that helps. I can also plug the temp probe into the ph module right?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between 7.01 and 7.00 is so slight, it shouldn't effect things. You would get more of a variation from temp differences.

Yes; you should float them in the tank for a few minutes (I do 10min) before calibration. I keep them in the water during calibration as well (using a small "chip clip" to keep them in place.
Note that (assuming you have a properly calibrated temp probe on your Apex) you'll want to enable temperature correction if you have not already.

Check for any kind of power cables or powered equipment on or around the probe or the probe's wire. These probes are pretty sensitive to electronic interference and a power cable running parallel to the probe cable can throw off the reading in frustrating ways.
Ps-my tank temp runs at about 75. Is that ok for calibration??

manilaboy1vic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh wow.. i forgot to put my packets in the water the last time i calibrated.. oops.. guess ill be recalibrating tonite.. however, when i calibrated and updated the apex.. i put the probe back in the packets and it read the correct value.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I moved the pH probe away from the other wires and it still reads about 7.9. I thought it was running at 8.1-8.3 but maybe not.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration madness. I bought new calibration fluid, floated it in the tank for about 20 minutes, then recalibrated. My ph is reading 7.73, which I don’t think can be right. The alk is usually between 9.7-10.2. I am very frustrated! I’m using a BRS probe with the apex ph module. Ack!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.8 would not be uncommon in a closed up house. Higher CO2 levels will lower your pH. When my 5 grandkids stay over for the night my pH drops like a rock. I can tell when they come and go from the house during the day by looking at the graph. It will also change during the day normally.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.8 would not be uncommon in a closed up house. Higher CO2 levels will lower your pH. When my 5 grandkids stay over for the night my pH drops like a rock. I can tell when they come and go from the house during the day by looking at the graph. It will also change during the day normally.
You’re right. I had this problem with my nano. I guess the ph monitor I had was really off. It read 8.1-8.3 since the tank startup. I have an API test that reads 8.0. I know they’re not the best but I keep it as a backup. If this is the true ph, I worry about eventually keeping corals. I’m bummed because I thought the skimmer would help with aeration. I’m really bummed.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re right. I had this problem with my nano. I guess the ph monitor I had was really off. It read 8.1-8.3 since the tank startup. I have an API test that reads 8.0. I know they’re not the best but I keep it as a backup. If this is the true ph, I worry about eventually keeping corals. I’m bummed because I thought the skimmer would help with aeration. I’m really bummed.

That pH level in itself should not prevent you from keeping coral. I am not sure how long you have had the probe give it a few days in the tank before calibrating it again.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pH level in itself should not prevent you from keeping coral. I am not sure how long you have had the probe give it a few days in the tank before calibrating it again.
Thanks. The probe is brand new. I put it in the tank a few days ago.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH is starting to creep up. I think the new probe is settling in. Thanks everyone!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back