Question about Purple Reef Lobsters

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just got my first Debelius purple reef lobster a few days ago. Its healthy enough, although it hides a lot. I don't have any fish in the tank, but I have some hermit crabs, snails, worms, hitchiker clams, tiny feather dusters, macroalgae, etc. So far it doesn't seem like the lobster's really gone after anything at all, although it's difficult to tell when he's only active and visible when the lights are completely off, it's nighttime, and I can't see anything lol.

I'm not crazy about getting a lot of saltwater fish, but I want to get a pair of ocellaris clownfish with it, as well as an orchard dottyback (and maybe a banggai cardinal fish). My tank's a 30 gallon, but I plan on upgrading to a 55 in the next year or so. The lobster is 2-3 inches, I would say. I really love that lobster and I know they live a long time, so I really would like to keep it in a reef tank longterm, and I'm fairly certain they won't eat corals. But I keep jumping back and forth between forums on this website and others about whether a reef lobster is safe with fish or not. Some talk about how they constantly had fish's fins torn apart from the lobster, others claim to have no issues. Some say as long as you keep it well-fed there should be no problems, others say it'll grow to be a killer.

I'm not overly concerned about my lobster eating a snail or two or a couple of hermit crabs, bristle worms, amphipods, etc. and I kept the female emerald crabs in the past with no issues, yet I see debates about crabs eating coral polyps as well.

Please, given the situation I just described, given that clowns sleep at the top of the tank and how fast orhid dottybacks can be when disturbed, how risky would it be to keep a lobster, well-fed, with just these fish (and also ornamental inverts like a blood red fire shrimp, tuxedo urchin, etc.)? And I would appreciate input from people who have actually kept these creatures in the past longterm, not just the reef keepers who have never dared tried it and never will.

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wanted one, so bumping and following
They're beautiful animals, and not hard to take care of either. I'm just trying to find out how accurate the "if you're willing to lose your prized fish" argument stands based on people's actual experience with them. There is a "guilty until proven innocent" mentality that a lot of reefers have, and I'm trying to filter that out before I make my decision. I wanna know what the people who have actually kept reef lobsters in reef tanks say on the matter, because they might be one of those creatures like emerald crabs and bristleworms that has a largely unfair rep.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did fine with everything the tank. Keep a bag of scallops in your freezer, and cut a good hunk (size of dice or so) and drop one in front of whatever rock he likes to sleep under, every 2-3 days, and he’ll leave everything in your tank alone.

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the input. This was very helpful. We'll see if there's anyone who has conflicting experience, but if this is more or less the consensus on the thread, I'll be getting some clownfish soon. ^^

TwentyfiveCents

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will eat any snail and or crab that cant get away once it has gotten big enough. Also it will attack your fish when they sleep in the rockwork at night.....wont kill them right away but after awhile it will injure them and eventually the fish will die, I can see getting one in a really big tank maybe somthing like 6x2x2 or wider but smaller tanks it just is not a good idea IMO

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will eat any snail and or crab that cant get away once it has gotten big enough. Also it will attack your fish when they sleep in the rockwork at night.....wont kill them right away but after awhile it will injure them and eventually the fish will die, I can see getting one in a really big tank maybe somthing like 6x2x2 or wider but smaller tanks it just is not a good idea IMO
Did you keep a reef lobster before with fish and snails in your reef tank or are you just assuming it will do that?

TwentyfiveCents

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you keep a reef lobster before with fish and snails in your reef tank or are you just assuming it will do that?
Yes I had one for about 3 month, maybe it was just extremely aggressive IDK if they all are like that but that was my experience with one. They look awesome and if I had a much bigger tank I would prob buy another one, I have a 90g tall 4' long

TwentyfiveCents

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I had ate my turbos and just found my hermit crab shells all over the place, gave it back to the store after my pink spot anthias died....i fed the lobster 2-3 times with a chunk of shrimp
I guess I just had a bad experience with mine, it was about 5" so full grown I guess

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I had ate my turbos and just found my hermit crab shells all over the place, gave it back to the store after my pink spot anthias died....i fed the lobster 2-3 times with a chunk of shrimp
I guess I just had a bad experience with mine, it was about 5" so full grown I guess

When you say 2-3 times, do you mean 2-3 times a week or over the course of the few months you had it?

I'm not trying to interrogate you or anything, and I'm sorry that that happened. I have turbos in my tank too, and other snails and hermit crabs and hitchiker clams, feather dusters, worms, etc. It's only been a few days but so far it hasn't gone after anything, including the really tiny creatures I know it would easily kill and eat now.

I'm just genuinely trying to understand what the deal is with these reef lobsters and how they might be manageable in a reef tank.

OP
OP
Joe Tony

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We thought it would be really cool to have. Truth is, we never see it.
Fair enough. I've definitely seen more people who have kept the lobster say it just has to be fed well and it won't go after anything.

Honestly, I'm just trying to decide for myself if the reef lobster is more like an emerald crab (ie an oppurtunistic scavenger), or something more predatory like an arrow crab or mantis shrimp. So far it seems to be the former, based on this forum, my research, and my few days of experience.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back