Question about shipping from a warm climate to a cold one...

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I was going to ship some frags from a cold climate(20 degrees) to a warm one(80+ degrees) what would be the best practice to make sure the corals survive and do well. Also, same question for the opposite, shipping from a warm to cold climate? I have a few ideas but would like to know if there is a proven practice for both of these situations. Thanks!

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vendors do this all the time for us in the cold climates of MN/ND. It really is the same packing method both ways in the winter time.

Quality styrofoam cooler box + Heat pack + properly bagged/cupped corals + FedEx not using the box as a football = good shipment of corals to the destination

This is assuming the spare space in the box is taken up by paper or non-biodegradable packing peanuts. Tape the heat pack to the top or bottom of the cooler, typically the top to prevent it from getting damp.

The trick with the heat packs though is air. They need oxygen to cause the chemical reaction in the pack. Whether you have a 24 hour or 40 hour heat pack they will only heat as long as they have air. So be sure to put them in the box right before sending, but let it warm up first so it is already warm when the box is closed.

Vendors can probably add more info to this, but that is what I have seen work in the past.

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never shipped, but have received shipments of livestock during the winter in upstate ny from vendors and private sellers with no issues of DOA. They were all packed in syrofoam box, with some type of packing material to take up the extra space, livestock in bags and a heat pack on top or bottom of box as cdness mentioned.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vendors do this all the time for us in the cold climates of MN/ND. It really is the same packing method both ways in the winter time.

Quality styrofoam cooler box + Heat pack + properly bagged/cupped corals + FedEx not using the box as a football = good shipment of corals to the destination

This is assuming the spare space in the box is taken up by paper or non-biodegradable packing peanuts. Tape the heat pack to the top or bottom of the cooler, typically the top to prevent it from getting damp.

The trick with the heat packs though is air. They need oxygen to cause the chemical reaction in the pack. Whether you have a 24 hour or 40 hour heat pack they will only heat as long as they have air. So be sure to put them in the box right before sending, but let it warm up first so it is already warm when the box is closed.

Vendors can probably add more info to this, but that is what I have seen work in the past.
Yes, but what if it's 90 degrees at the shippers location? Wouldn't a heat pack end up cooking the corals while they either wait for pick up or while sitting at the airport?

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where things get tricky... There is really no perfect way to ship corals minus an electronic cooler heater on batteries with a thermostat. Those heat packs are oxygen activated so they are limited for our use.

I wonder if the vendors could let us in on the reasoning behind their packaging method. They do more of this and have more than likely been in your exact situation before. I am just talking in theory as I don't do much ordering or shipping. I do a little ordering and lots of reading.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a low hour heat pack such as 10 -12 hour so it starts dying down by the time it reaches the destination location.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a low hour heat pack such as 10 -12 hour so it starts dying down by the time it reaches the destination location.
Makes sense if your shipping from a cold area to a warm one, thank you. Now how about a hot climate to cold:)

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case use a 24 + hour hear pack and ship as late in the day as possible. Provide protection between the heat pack and the coral by using packing peanuts and newspaper or paper towels.
If you have a world service center near by they are typically open until 8pm or later which allows you to drop off late in the day while its cooler out.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do ya think about using a heatpack(if shipping from a warm climate to cold) and double bagging an ice cube or two to initially keep it cool until it gets on the plane? Thanks for the input so far!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back