Ready for a winter wonderland: Other than heaters, have you prepared your tank for winter?

Other than heaters, have you prepared your tank for cold weather?

• Yes, my tank is fully prepared for colder weather.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • Somewhat, I have done some work to prepare for cold weather.

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • No, I haven't done anything other than add heaters.

Votes: 56 45.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 14.8%

• Total voters

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needs an option for "I do not add anything different for winter than summer" or something like that. My tanks have heaters year around. I don't pull them just because they are not used much at all during warmer months.

AustinBabler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in northern illinois no real change for me since we keep the house at about 70 year around so the heaters always run. I constantly watch the weather (farmer) so if it’s going to get snowy or icy I’ll make up freshwater for top off and top my saltwater can up so I don’t miss water change day in case of a power interruption. Longest the tank has been without power was 5 hours and I just kept it stirred with a big spatula. I can plug the heaters into a generator if I had too. Fingers crossed for a mild winter.

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Arizonan! Valley of the Sun.
Melting Heat Wave GIF

RickSanford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL controlled redundant heaters, generator topped off with fresh Seafoam-treated fuel, battery backup for all 4 MP-40s. About as prepared as I can be save a whole-house generator.

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ready for a winter wonderland: Other than heaters, have you prepared your tank for cold weather?

In some parts of the world, temperatures have already dropped, and in other parts of the world the weather is still pleasant, so the winter season means different things to reef keepers from different climates. Realizing that we have varying situations and temperatures to prepare for with the changing season, please let us know how you prepare for winter beyond just adding a thermometer and calling it good. Feel free to share any recommendations, tips, or best practices that have worked well for you – whether or not you have the sled dog ready to go!

ReeferPunk_FTS.jpeg

Photo by @Reefer_punk

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
Omg that tank is truely stunning and i wish someday mine will become something like this

Absolute stunning

Would love to know what tech your running

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always raised the tank temp a degree or two in winter and lower in summer to offset possible temp changes during a power failure.
I kinda do the same... I just like having a buffer. In SoCal windows are always open so having that extra buffer.

Jcampise51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an overpowered heater for my tank so it doesn't have to work too hard, and for safety it's hooked up to an inkbird. Besides that my house helps keep the temp stable.

My ATO on the other hand has been working triple time!! Once the cold weather came and the heat got turned on in the house I feel like I'm easily going through double in my ATO container for the tank
I live in the Midwest so we are at a constant freezing temperature. I also struggle with keeping humidity in my house so I’m not filling up my 5 gallon ato for my 140g every 2-3 days. My tank is in my living room and I run a humidifier right by it. Definitely seems to help but I’m also thinking of putting a second humidifier to help with it. Let me know if you have any suggestions how to slow down the ato. Also have lid on it.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heaters are in all year here. Tanks act a bit like radiant heat in the winter as we keep the house 68 - 70 and tanks run at 77. I did bring the generator up and put it on the slab behind the garage and have a hundred gallons of gas on stand by. We heat with wood so temps can be maintained at a survivable level with no power but need that flow.

dank.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
San Diego here. They say the SD weatherman has the easiest job in the world. How's the weather gonna be today? "Nice". I also live on the same power grid as a hospital so power outages don't happen at my house. I have lived here for 8 years and I think the power went out once for like 45min to an hour.

zaynereefco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
running a 15 g with one 200w heater set at 80
Water is still at 73
So what are your thoughts on running 2 heaters

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The only thing that's different for me during the winter months is that I have to dump the dehumidifier more often. I live in south Tx, even when it's cold it isn't that cold. Lol.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
running a 15 g with one 200w heater set at 80
Water is still at 73
So what are your thoughts on running 2 heaters
Way overkill for a 15 gallon tank. I have a 25 gallon with 100watt heater and it heats up just fine.
I find if you have a knob on the heater set to 80 it might not heat to 80. I think mine is set to 84f on the heater to get to 78f. I also use an inkbird controller as a backup to the heater.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%

Back