Ready for a winter wonderland: Other than heaters, have you prepared your tank for winter?

Other than heaters, have you prepared your tank for cold weather?

• Yes, my tank is fully prepared for colder weather.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • Somewhat, I have done some work to prepare for cold weather.

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • No, I haven't done anything other than add heaters.

Votes: 56 45.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 14.8%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ready for a winter wonderland: Other than heaters, have you prepared your tank for cold weather?

In some parts of the world, temperatures have already dropped, and in other parts of the world the weather is still pleasant, so the winter season means different things to reef keepers from different climates. Realizing that we have varying situations and temperatures to prepare for with the changing season, please let us know how you prepare for winter beyond just adding a thermometer and calling it good. Feel free to share any recommendations, tips, or best practices that have worked well for you – whether or not you have the sled dog ready to go!

ReeferPunk_FTS.jpeg

Photo by @Reefer_punk

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not really for the tank, but for the house. In the winter I run four dehumidifiers. I live in an old house with plaster walls. In the past (before dehumidifiers) and on very cold days, I'd actually get moisture condensing on the walls in the coldest bedroom. And my windows would always be loaded with condensed water....

1702476630826.png

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an overpowered heater for my tank so it doesn't have to work too hard, and for safety it's hooked up to an inkbird. Besides that my house helps keep the temp stable.

My ATO on the other hand has been working triple time!! Once the cold weather came and the heat got turned on in the house I feel like I'm easily going through double in my ATO container for the tank

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the weather outside have to do with your tank? Is it also outside? Personally, I keep my tank inside. Its much easier to look at when its inside the house. If I set it up in the back yard I'd have one heck of a time looking at it from the couch.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lied in my vote, my tank is always fully prepared for whatever. I don't do anything special for winter or summer even though I live in the Northeast. I have a battery backup that will last 24 hours minus the heaters and lights, I have a generator in case I lose power completely for more than a day.

zeszes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really do too much other than make sure I have a battery air pump to keep water movement in case of a power outtage, and I always keep a few buckets of RO on standby so I can do my weekend water change quickly if I have other obligations already, so if the pipes freeze, I'll be good there too

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Austin, Tx. I do not operate heaters on inside tanks. I prefer tank temperature < 75 degrees. so in winter Because of too many tanks in the house, I operate dehumidifier to heat room and remove moisture from the air.

In the summer, I operate ac to cool house and remove moisture from the air: 70% of heat load on air conditioning is called “latent heat” which is water vapor.
I feel this post was 110% created by someone who lives somewhere that doesn't get snow I keep my house warmer in winter with the furnace than I do in summer with a/c running. No change really for tanks

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having my tank in the basement makes it easier for winter here in Wisconsin. My basement temperature is always more stable for some reason. When I had tanks upstairs I had to add another heater.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved to CO. in August. Temporary tank set up in garage until finished basement floor get replaced. As temps started to drop I boxed the tank off with 1.5" sheets of Styrofoam. Hopefully moving tank inside this weekend.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back