Question about Viparspectra - Multiple Units

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a single Viparspectra 165 and really like the cost and simplicity of this light. If I were to pick up one or two more units, am I able to use the same controller, or does each unit run at a different frequency and need their own controllers? Thanks.

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They all run separately, and no dimming. They definitely grow coral but eventually you’ll tire of lack of flexibility. Don’t get me wrong I grew a tank full of coral but I just finally upgraded. In addition to the lack of controllability, these have too many “white spectrum”’ diodes and not enough blue variants. I ran them at 100% blue and like 3% white. That being said for the money they aren’t bad and do what they are supposed to. Here’s a pic of my tank grown exclusively with them before I switched them out.
IMG_8434.jpeg
p

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! So to be clear, if I have a total of three ViparSpectra, I will need three different controllers?

And when you say, "no dimming", I'm interpreting that to mean they don't ramp up and down. They are either on or off at whatever percent you have set. And that's OK with me because these are replacing older Black Boxes which did the same thing...but needed to be controlled by a separate timing device. I like that these units come with there own timers. It frees up a plug on my controller....actually two plugs (one for white and one for blue).

Again, thanks!

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ahh I misunderstood something… so when I ran them I used the internal timers for each light individually, are you trying to use a controller for them? I have not done this. They internal controllers can’t be synced. In addition, for whatever reason the individual lights internal clocks run at ever so slightly different times, some are fast and some are slow, so over time the times can become mismatched by a factor of minutes. I suppose you could run them through a single controller but because of the nternal timer I never felt the need, even with its shortcomings.

MississippiHippi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! So to be clear, if I have a total of three ViparSpectra, I will need three different controllers?

And when you say, "no dimming", I'm interpreting that to mean they don't ramp up and down. They are either on or off at whatever percent you have set. And that's OK with me because these are replacing older Black Boxes which did the same thing...but needed to be controlled by a separate timing device. I like that these units come with there own timers. It frees up a plug on my controller....actually two plugs (one for white and one for blue).

Again, thanks!
They have the built in controls that's it you will have to set them all three the same but the remote that comes with it will work for any of the three.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again.....but let me take a step back and restate the question.

The one unit I purchased came with a hand held remote:

ViparSpectra Remote Controller.jpg

If I were to buy a second, or third unit, will I be able to use this same remote (on the same frequency) or will I have to use the specific, separate remotes to control the lights.....three lights, three separate remotes or three lights all controlled by one remote?

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have the built in controls that's it you will have to set them all three the same but the remote that comes with it will work for any of the three.

You answered my question while I was typing the post above. Thanks.

Now, just to totally confuse everyone. What if I had two separate tanks in the same room, both with these ViparSpectra lights, but I wanted to run them differently. Could that be done?

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now, just to totally confuse everyone. What if I had two separate tanks in the same room, both with these ViparSpectra lights, but I wanted to run them differently. Could that be done?

I think I can answer my own question. If I use the manual dial on one of the tanks, I should be able to set them up differently....YES?

MississippiHippi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes just don't point the remote at the other lights while you set that one

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to verify what has already been said you can have multiple light fixtures and use the single remote. I think part of the confusion is that you keep saying controller, but it is not a controller like other light manufacturers use. It is just a remote that allows you set options on the lights no different than pressing the buttons on the lights themselves.

The remote is infrared so as long as you are only pointing the remote at a single light only the settings on that single light would change. I used to have two of the 300 watt versions on my tank and honestly getting both lights to change settings at the same time was a challenge, so I’d usually set them individually.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey now, I'm from a time where televisions only came in black and white and if you wanted to change the channel you had to get up off the couch and walk over to the set to turn the dial. And while you were there, you adjusted the rabbit ears.

This newfangled technological mumbo jumbo is confusing for me.

Thanks everyone for helping an old dog to learn new tricks. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Remote it is!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back