Question about water/equipment at coral expos/shops

Ashibashi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Happy 4th of July weekend.

On the car ride tagging along to and from getting fireworks I got to daydreaming about reef tanks.

I've been devouring troubleshooting threads on here for the past couple weeks. People with 3-6 months and over tanks, all the latest and greatest tech, parameters perfect, and corals/fish/inverts still failing to thrive. Some even saying their corals pucker up within minutes of hitting the water.

what the heck do people do to get the water right at coral expos/frag swaps that are only set up for a few days? They can't possibly be transporting that quantity of water there and back? For that matter I've been to a few lfs with coral displays.- just tanks sitting like kitchen islands in the middle of the shop, no sump to be seen, basically no rock in the tank, all the frags just sitting on little acrylic shelves and some pipes sticking out the bottom. One shop near me is Vivid Aquariums, you can look at the photos and see what I mean. The stuff under those displays look nothing like a sump/skimmer/refugium system you see under hobbyist tanks.

What gives? How do vendors at coral expos manage to have their corals looking vibrant and healthy in presumably brand new freshly prepped water, especially after the trauma of being transported? What equipment are they using at fish stores?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can set up a mature established reef from day 1. You just need mature, established liverock and substrate. Match nutrient export methods to bioload and boom, instant reef.

A tank is just a vessel.....
Without a seasoned crew, it wont go anywhere....

That..... and the learning curve of proper husbandry.

OP
OP
A

Ashibashi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can set up a mature established reef from day 1. You just need mature, established liverock and substrate. Match nutrient export methods to bioload and boom, instant reef.

A tank is just a vessel.....
Without a seasoned crew, it wont go anywhere....

That..... and the learning curve of proper husbandry.
Do you know where its possible to get live rock shipped in water from? I've seen that Hawaii/Fiji have cracked down on export so you can't get it from there now. What about Australia, Mexico, the Caribbean? The red sea? Do people in the hobby not really use wild harvested rock anymore due to environmental damage? Ideally I'd want aquacultured live rock from a more legit tropical reef environment like the Caribbean than Florida, but if that's all we've got then I suppose it will have to do!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mature established live rock does not mean wild ocean rock.
The liverock i purchased 10 years ago was in a tote full of circulating heated salt water at the LFS.
They would throw all sorts of micro fauna in there too which gave the perfect jump start.

You can find established live rock locally from another hobbiest or here.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 41 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back