Saltwater question

FrostyWriter021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fello Reefers I have got a question on what I should do about my salt water. I have a 13-gallon Fluval Evo and I have been getting my water from my closest reef store for about a year now. When I first started to get my water I didn't never do any tests on my tank for calcium or mag or alk. I just had a pair of clowns and around January I got a few corals. I tested the water and it was fine and at the time I was using I believe ReefFlower Coral salt. I went to the Shop yesterday and now and asked what salt they used and they told me Instant Ocean which I have heard is not the best salt for corals. I also keep 2, 5-gallon buckets on hand so I can do my water changes but not have to go weekly to get the water. The overal point is, I want to have the best stability I can get and with them changing the salt brand, I want to know what salt would be better. There is another reef store an hour away and it's a really good store but the hour drive is what keeps me from going as much.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making your own saltwater is best, unless you are near an ocean.
Get a rodi filtration system.
Decide what your parametr targets are, ie 7.5 dkh, 400 ca etc and pick a salt close to that.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t speak for red flower as I’ve never used it . Instant ocean I haven’t used in years and it was for fish only . Red Sea blue bucket is good . Tropic Marin is also good

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes, driving another hour really makes little sense I agree.
If you cannot make your own, I would start with buying some really good test kits. Quality ones.
Measure your tank parameters and try and pick a salt close to that.
The great salt debate goes on and on. I think it's personal preference but many disagree.
I've never heard of rock flower coral salt but I've heard of red Sea coral pro salt.
It's just fine.
I switched to regular instant ocean 2 years ago and I've never been happier.
Like I said, test your water and see where you are at so you know where you want to go. Different corals have different needs.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing wrong with instant ocean, but yes you should just make your own saltwater with either RO/DI system or buy the water in jugs, (RO or RO/DI) separately from a water distributor. This way you can use the salt you feel comfortable with and have it on hand all the time.

OP
OP
F

FrostyWriter021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes, driving another hour really makes little sense I agree.
If you cannot make your own, I would start with buying some really good test kits. Quality ones.
Measure your tank parameters and try and pick a salt close to that.
The great salt debate goes on and on. I think it's personal preference but many disagree.
I've never heard of rock flower coral salt but I've heard of red Sea coral pro salt.
It's just fine.
I switched to regular instant ocean 2 years ago and I've never been happier.
Like I said, test your water and see where you are at so you know where you want to go. Different corals have different needs.
The shop an hour away has 3 different types of saltwater you can purchase premade and I really trust that store. But the main thing is, would the parameters be able to hold up if I got a month's worth? They also sell rodi water, I have a rodi water system that was off of amazon I believe it was 75 or 80.. I just use that water to top off.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say yes, the water will hold for a month.
I also have the same rodi system. It works well.
I'd also say if you can make your own rodi water try making your own salt water.
Nice to have such a good store around I'm jealous but I think you got this.
Start with testing your own water and go from there.
There are lots of good salt brands. Call the store and see what they recommend.

OP
OP
F

FrostyWriter021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say yes, the water will hold for a month.
I also have the same rodi system. It works well.
I'd also say if you can make your own rodi water try making your own salt water.
Nice to have such a good store around I'm jealous but I think you got this.
Start with testing your own water and go from there.
There are lots of good salt brands. Call the store and see what they recommend.
I have 2 salifert and the rest api I am saving to get all the Salifert but just taking me a little bit of time. I like the idea of making my own rodi water but it takes a lot of time and you waste a lot of water just to make a little

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 salifert and the rest api I am saving to get all the Salifert but just taking me a little bit of time. I like the idea of making my own rodi water but it takes a lot of time and you waste a lot of water just to make a little
Understood.
Not the cheapest hobby.
You will save money making your own salt water and, yes,rodi wastes a lot of water.
I use the waste water to water plants occasionally!
Either you or your LFS is going to waste the water, so it gets wasted either way.
Whichever way you choose it sounds like you are on the right track.
We're all here to help so keep us posted and always ask the questions.
Joel

OP
OP
F

FrostyWriter021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood.
Not the cheapest hobby.
You will save money making your own salt water and, yes,rodi wastes a lot of water.
I use the waste water to water plants occasionally!
Either you or your LFS is going to waste the water, so it gets wasted either way.
Whichever way you choose it sounds like you are on the right track.
We're all here to help so keep us posted and always ask the questions.
Joel
on your rodi filter do you use like full water pressure or do you turn the knob all the way up, I use the bathtub to make mine.

OP
OP
F

FrostyWriter021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the washing machine outlet teed off, full open.
How long does it take you to make like 5 gallons and also should I get an ato? I also think I want to get a temperature controller, I rushed into the hobby and Christmas is coming up so I am trying to think of some things.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take you to make like 5 gallons and also should I get an ato? I also think I want to get a temperature controller, I rushed into the hobby and Christmas is coming up so I am trying to think of some things.

Slow down there Snowman.... Get your water situation under control FIRST!!!

Making your own RODI is by far the most convenient and efficient way to both top off and perform water changes.

For salt brands, I have been using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals all along with the only drawback being that about every 3 months or so I have to clean the brown gunk out of the mixing can.

Recently, got a deal on a box of Fritz blue so I am going to try that out with my next batch of SW which I am filling the mixing can for as I type this...

An ATO for a 13 gallon tank is kinda senseless as you would need container almost as large as the tank itself to make it worthwhile. Keep a couple 5g buckets of fresh RODI handy and top off nightly and there you go.

Temp controller? Your heater has that built in. Save your money. Instead of a controller consider a monitor. All you need to know is if the tank goes way out of line.. A couple degrees either way if fine.. a 10 degree swing, not so much

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. I went to the Shop yesterday and now and asked what salt they used and they told me Instant Ocean which I have heard is not the best salt for corals.

It's a fine salt mix. I'd ask folks suggesting it wasn't best what exactly is not desirable about it.

Salt mixes make relatively minor differences, if any. I'd pick them based on alk and how that alk fits into your husbandry practices and goals.

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shop an hour away has 3 different types of saltwater you can purchase premade and I really trust that store. But the main thing is, would the parameters be able to hold up if I got a month's worth? They also sell rodi water, I have a rodi water system that was off of amazon I believe it was 75 or 80.. I just use that water to top off.
What’s system?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with Instant Ocean salt or pretty much any other brand. IO is probably the most widely used salt in the hobby.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello fello Reefers I have got a question on what I should do about my salt water. I have a 13-gallon Fluval Evo and I have been getting my water from my closest reef store for about a year now. When I first started to get my water I didn't never do any tests on my tank for calcium or mag or alk. I just had a pair of clowns and around January I got a few corals. I tested the water and it was fine and at the time I was using I believe ReefFlower Coral salt. I went to the Shop yesterday and now and asked what salt they used and they told me Instant Ocean which I have heard is not the best salt for corals. I also keep 2, 5-gallon buckets on hand so I can do my water changes but not have to go weekly to get the water. The overal point is, I want to have the best stability I can get and with them changing the salt brand, I want to know what salt would be better. There is another reef store an hour away and it's a really good store but the hour drive is what keeps me from going as much.
At times, itss been found that LFS water can be low in salinity, high in nitrates and phosphates and even have traces of copper. Best is to have control of your water by making your own and getting an RO unit. Yu will save costs and trips to the LFS and enjoy your maintenance even more

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi wondering if anyone has advice on salt brands currently moving aboard setting tank up after a few months not having it running. Been using instant ocean but find it hard to find any in stock. Any other brands I should try out. Got a 300L tank fish and corals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi wondering if anyone has advice on salt brands currently moving aboard setting tank up after a few months not having it running. Been using instant ocean but find it hard to find any in stock. Any other brands I should try out. Got a 300L tank fish and corals.
Everyone is going to have a Favorite brand and different experience with a certain salt mix. I have use most of the brands. For Instant ocean which is available through chewy.com and Amazon, A comparable would be red sea blue bucket, as well as fritz and coralife.
Others are:
Kent
Instant ocean reef crystals
Tropic marin . . . . . as examples

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is going to have a Favorite brand and different experience with a certain salt mix. I have use most of the brands. For Instant ocean which is available through chewy.com and Amazon, A comparable would be red sea blue bucket, as well as fritz and coralife.
Others are:
Kent
Instant ocean reef crystals
Tropic marin . . . . . as examples
I m going today to the shop and have a look I’ve managed to find Red Sea and also tropic Marin.
I had no issues with IO but don’t really want to be taking bags of salt in my suitcase each time lol
I heard Red Sea has higher levels would that be okay for corals or fish or do you have to dose the tank to counteract?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back