Question about welding acrylic

chopper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try to build a small frag tank and I had a quick question about welding. I'm going to use the pins method. Since I don't have a router, I had the pieces cut at the acrylic shop out of 1/2" acrylic. The tank is going to be 20x16x6.
I did not account for leaving a 1/8" ledge on the side pieces to apply the Weldon. When the sides sit on the bottom piece it comes out flush to the edge. Will I be able to create a good seal without having the small ledge to allow the Weldon to filet when I apply it. I'd like to avoid having to drive to the other side of town to go back to the plastics shop to have those extra cuts made.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want it sitting flush on all parts or it won't seal. Better off getting it cut again.

OP
OP
chopper320

chopper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sets flush but I see most people leave a 1/8" ledge to apply the weld on and I didn't leave that extra area. It's actually perfectly flush but I wasn't sure if it would seal that way.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pins are used to just separate the pieces temporarily so the solvent has a chance to properly soften surfaces to be welded. After a minute or two the pins are removed and project can be lightly clamped until cured. I f there are any saw kerfs you will want at least block sand them somewhat smooth.

Cheers, Todd

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for the overhanging ledge. TJ's got ya covered on this one.

OP
OP
chopper320

chopper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! One more question. They only had weldon 3 but they told me that would be fine to use. Is that accurate? I know most use Weldon 4

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I've used both. 3 just cures faster than 4. So if your using 3 you just have to go go go. 4 you can take your time.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back