Question about white string like things on live rock

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening reefers,

I am new to the hobby and am about 2 weeks into cycling a new tank. I bought some live rock from Petco. I did dip it d-ionized water for a couple of minutes which shed multiple bristle worms. Within the last week this while string-like substance has formed on the rocks. Is this a type of algae / is it safe for the tank. I did use a bottle of Dr. Tim's ammonia and cycle start in the tank. Thank you for any advice you can give and best wishes for your tanks.

V/r,

fishkins88
image0 (1).jpeg
image1.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good evening reefers,

I am new to the hobby and am about 2 weeks into cycling a new tank. I bought some live rock from Petco. I did dip it d-ionized water for a couple of minutes which shed multiple bristle worms. Within the last week this while string-like substance has formed on the rocks. Is this a type of algae / is it safe for the tank. I did use a bottle of Dr. Tim's ammonia and cycle start in the tank. Thank you for any advice you can give and best wishes for your tanks.

V/r,

fishkins88
image0 (1).jpeg
image1.jpeg
Looks like what is known as chryophytes and bacterial filaments
Best course of action is to remove rock and place in container of tank water and scrub off with a firm toothbrush or auto detail brush and peroxide
Return rock to tank and direct more water flow towards rocks and add cleaners such as chiton snails, pitho crabs, ninja star snails and even a pencil urchin

OP
OP
F

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like what is known as chryophytes and bacterial filaments
Best course of action is to remove rock and place in container of tank water and scrub off with a firm toothbrush or auto detail brush and peroxide
Return rock to tank and direct more water flow towards rocks and add cleaners such as chiton snails, pitho crabs, ninja star snails and even a pencil urchin
Thank you for the advice. I followed your cleaning instructions and put the rock back in. I will check out these clean up crew suggestions.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back