Question for Coral sellers

sweat044

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for all the sellers out there. If you sent a shipment to a customer worth $325 and the customer didn't get the shipment and after dealing with FedEx they admit they have no idea where the package is and credit you the seller $100. Would you send the buyer anything to make up for their loss or would you ask them to buy more and take the risk? Note the buyer is out $325 and has no corals. Doesn't seem right to me.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would maybe send him something, in the long run it makes you a better seller to deal with.

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seller should at least give the buyer the $100 he got from FedEx. No reason for the seller to keep that.

As a buyer I would only buy from a seller with an arrive alive policy.

As a seller I would make sure my policies were known prior to any sales and this scenario should be covered.

reefaboo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always say I am not responsible for fedex errors but when somethjng like that happens ( this happened recently) I always share the loss with buyer. I go 50/50 with him

OP
OP
S

sweat044

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the buyer in this case. The shipper has offered to refund me $200 which is still $125 less than the price I paid or try to send other corals but many of the ones I bought are now out of stock.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I bred high end bettas, in 1998 I sold females for 75-125 males twice that on Aquabid. Asking for a photo of a lost fish was hard to ask for then. One customer had a doa, at no charge I sent another, same thing doa, on his word. After the third fish was claimed as doa I refunded him over $200 and noted that he was the only one that ever had a doa and to have three was odd, guess I can't ship live fish to him, here is your money back. I blocked him from bidding on future auctions. Point is, things happen that are in no way the sellers fault, but as the seller I feel it's their responsibility to take care of the customer.
Just my 2¢...guess it was long so my 25¢

garias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would eat the loss it was not the buyers fault and unhappy buyers will cost you sales down the road

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wasn't the package insured? Wouldn't that alleviate the issue of delays or losses by the shipper?

Reef_Lounge_USA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is about a week late and might not help in your situation but I thought I would share anyways. We had something similar happen to us just this last week. UPS damaged our package in transit and made the decision to discard the entire thing. We are in the process of issuing a full refund to our customer. While it isn't our fault that the package was damaged it certainly wasn't our customers fault. So we refund the money and file a claim with UPS. We also insured the package so we should get back enough to break even. There are a few scenarios where a refund wouldn't be given but in those situations we get written confirmation from the buyer that they are ok with the risk before we ship.

Last edited:

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is about a week late and might not help in your situation but I thought I would share anyways. We had something similar happen to us just this last week. UPS damaged our package in transit and made the decision to discard the entire thing. We are in the process of issuing a full refund to our customer. While it isn't our fault that the package was damaged it certainly wasn't our customers fault. So we refund the money and file a claim with UPS. We also insured the package so we should get back enough to break even. There are a few scenarios where a refund would be given but in those situations we get written confirmation from the buyer that they are ok with the risk before we ship.

Quick ? Ok with what risk

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always given back a full refund, If its not the buyers fault I would feel terrible making them pay for something they wouldn't receive.

Reef_Lounge_USA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick ? Ok with what risk

There was a typo there. It was supposed to say "where a refund wouldn't be given."... When the weather is extremely hot or cold we try to delay shipment until the weather is better but if the customer doesn't want to wait we will still ship out the package but do not guarantee live arrival. That is probably the only scenario where we wouldn't issue a full refund on an order.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back