Question for the long term reefers

Robbie Gibbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once your tank is so overgrown that stuff is growing put the top and you have more frags than you know what to do with or can get rid of, What do you guys do?

I'm not to that point yet. but a few of my more established corals are headed in that direction. I want to upgrade to a 300 gal buuuut the cost of the new glass and stand aren't in the budget any time soon. Just curious, any of you guys say screw it break down the reef, sell the corals and start over, or just keep fragging along?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag away, and throw away, remove entire colonies and throw away(to make room for more frags), upgrade, resell to the LFS, or did I mention upgrade?

I'm in that boat right now with a massive frogspawn. LFS won't take it, so I will just end up tossing about 25 or so heads.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start over with frags about every three years. I stopped keeping some types of LPS since they are so hard to frag and killing them breaks my heart. Some of the colonies that get torn down get a chance to stay and regrow - sometimes, I replace them with new pieces to try.

You can sell, trade and give away on the local market, but it gets saturated quickly. If you have the patience and stomach, then you can sell and ship, but this is not all that it is cracked up to be unless you can get a good amount of money for your time and expense.

If you are in a populated area, then commercial accounts for some of your good LFS might trade you some things. I have gotten some gift certificates to a steakhouse, some passes to the local aquarium and some offers for discounted dental work for a few of my larger colonies. See if you can get a relationship with some good local stores.

Sometimes, you just have to throw them away.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trade, give away or throw out ..... in that order. Reality is that once colonies get large, much of the underbranch structure is mostly dead anyhow and becomes future media for the CaRx.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have three tanks and spread the love

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a valid question. The resale market on a lot of fast growing, common stuff is, well, stuffed. It ends up in my CaRx. This saved my butt when Reborn was out of stock for 4 months.

Like @jda I am doing a restart. It is a little painful tbh. How do I find a home for this? Not many folks have the space. And that would be too many frags to channel stuff around here.

IMG-4750.JPG

OP
OP
Robbie Gibbins

Robbie Gibbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the amazing answers. As for the upgrade. Hahah. I wish I could find a 300 (6ft x 36”) or a 400-500 8 foot that someone wants to get rid of. I just don’t foresee spending 3-8k on a tank and stand combo. Lol. All the stuff running my 125 is rated to run a 300. I did that on purpose lol

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a valid question. The resale market on a lot of fast growing, common stuff is, well, stuffed. It ends up in my CaRx. This saved my butt when Reborn was out of stock for 4 months.

Seems like it’s still mostly OOS.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never been there may never happen but watched Melevsreef video were he (and a group of reefer friends) basically pulled out large colonies of corals allowing more room for fish to swim and less shading where corals weren't getting light. Everything taken out was fragged and shared. Looked so bare afterward but I guess you start the grow out process over again.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like it’s still mostly OOS.

Again? There was a month or so there... late August maybe... when I was able to get one bag from here, one from there, one from Amazon and so on. Only small bags though.

I found Middle Keys stuff easier to source and I feel like the quality is as good as or better than ReBorn. Slightly larger pieces and fewer shells.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m down if you’re not across the country from me. Ahah.

Same coast but pretty different latitude. I can't picture packaging this thing properly for shipping. And they shipping is going these days, it would arrive in 100 pieces and 60 degree water.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again? There was a month or so there... late August maybe... when I was able to get one bag from here, one from there, one from Amazon and so on. Only small bags though.

I found Middle Keys stuff easier to source and I feel like the quality is as good as or better than ReBorn. Slightly larger pieces and fewer shells.

Interesting, I just placed an order for a 20 lb bag of middle keys.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the crazy price of frags these days it would be such a waste to trash your corals. There are lots of hobbiest that would love inexpensive frags of that and other corals. A friend sells frags well below market when his get to large and includes other nice frags free with each purchase.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I just placed an order for a 20 lb bag of middle keys.

I should have included something in the photo for scale but the pieces are larger than the large Reborn. The shells are much larger, but I would say the rejected volume was the same between the two proportionally.
IMG-4651.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back