Question on pipe size for 150 gallon

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased an SCA 150 gallon reef tank. It comes with (3) 1-inch Bulkheads. 1 Drain, 1 Emergency drain, and 1 Return. I will be running a Herbie-style overflow. Would I benefit from running 1-inch plumbing from overflow to the bulkhead and reducing it down to 3/4 inch to fit into the 1-inch Bulkhead and then going back to one inch beneath the tank and reducing back down again to 3/4 inch into the 1-inch bulkhead on my sump? Or would all that just be a waste of time and be better than just running all 3/4 inch plumbing?

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you not run all 1" for the drains?
the hole precut in the tank only fits 1 inch bulkheads. So 3/4 inch pipe would only fit into them. thats, why I was wondering if I ran 1-inch pipe down to the bulkhead and reduced it down to 3/4 inch at the bulkhead, would make a difference or not?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1" bulkhead is for a 1" pipe. A 3/4" bulkhead fits 3/4" pipe and needs about 1 1/2" hole drilled in the glass.
The bulkheads are 3/4"? If the bulkheads are 3/4", then I would just run everything 3/4".

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1" bulkhead is for a 1" pipe. A 3/4" bulkhead fits 3/4" pipe and needs about 1 1/2" hole drilled in the glass.
The bulkheads are 3/4"? If the bulkheads are 3/4", then I would just run everything 3/4".
I'm all screwd up lol my pipes are all 1 Inch. So is it OK for everything being 1 inch drain and return lines? Ecause that is what they are. Always though drain lines should be bigger.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all screwd up lol my pipes are all 1 Inch. So is it OK for everything being 1 inch drain and return lines? Ecause that is what they are. Always though drain lines should be bigger.
No worries. I was just trying to understand so you can have the best system.

Yes, I would run all 1". There's never a good reason to reduce size. It's likely your return pump will have a 3/4" outlet, so you may have to use a reducer for that.

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. I was just trying to understand so you can have the best system.

Yes, I would run all 1". There's never a good reason to reduce size. It's likely your return pump will have a 3/4" outlet, so you may have to use a reducer for that.
Actually I have the Varios 6 and it says the outlet is 1 and 1/2 inch

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 86 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back