Question

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unplugged end of a powerhead fell into my saltwater mixing barrel. Does it it become an issue with water quality and at what after how much time submerged would you toss the water?

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the big question I'm not really sure. my guess is 4 days

Is your plug silver or gold tone in color? Doesn't matter too much as I believe most of our plugs are either raw brass but more than likely the silver cover which should be nickel plating.

I would consider it okay but an electrician might have a better answer to your question than I.

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your plug silver or gold tone in color? Doesn't matter too much as I believe most of our plugs are either raw brass but more than likely the silver cover which should be nickel plating.

I would consider it okay but an electrician might have a better answer to your question than I.

I think the plug is silverbut I'm not real concerned about that. I'm more concerned about the metal being in the water. As i think about I could just use it for a wc in my fish only. Or better yet if someone wants a free tomato clown I could shut that tank down.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize. What I was trying to say is that I would feel confident if it were mine as it should not copper being introduced because of the metal.

I know someone who found a rusted nail in his sump and didn't know how long it had been in the water and was worried, but to me, the nail would have essentially only added ferric oxide into the system.

Long story short is that there were zero issues.

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize. What I was trying to say is that I would feel confident if it were mine as it should not copper being introduced because of the metal.

I know someone who found a rusted nail in his sump and didn't know how long it had been in the water and was worried, but to me, the nail would have essentially only added ferric oxide into the system.

Long story short is that there were zero issues.

Thanks for the info Cap. I'm inclined to agree.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back