Questions about moving a tank

Pete_the_Puma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am considering, at some point in the next 1-2 years, moving my tank to a different spot in the same room and onto a different, newly built indestructible stand.

The tank in question is a RedSea Reefer 650 peninsula, about 150 gallons.

I am wondering if the tank could handle the weight/stress of being moved (likely by a bunch of dudes with suctions cups holding the side glass) with about 90-120lbs of live rock and corals still in the tank (no sand, as little water as possible) or if that extra weight would either shatter the bottom (there is a large piece of ABS plastic covering the glass itself) or compromise the side seams?

All my rock work is two island that are epoxied solid and now covered with SPS and removing them from inside the tank might be a headache…

Appreciate any input,

Pete

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the glass weight alone is a lot for the silicone to handle. I wouldn’t risk the extra rock weight. You also risk a rock hitting the glass by leaving it inside during a move.
I’m sure there is a safe way to do it tho, if you were to slide the tank onto a stand that has dollys underneath or something like that.

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would under no circumstances attempt to move the tank with anything other than air inside of it.

It MAY turn out ok. It also May shatter the bottom, stress fracture the seams, crack glass when a piece of rock shifts.. the extra hour or two of headache is worth it. That's not a cheap tank and if your take the shortcut, and do damage the tank, You'll be in an immediate emergency of trying to get a replacement

Upvote 0
Back