Questions from a new clam keeper

D E N I N O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I picked up my first clam on Monday, it's a beautiful Crocea clam and it's in my nano system. I'd been looking for the right one for a while and did research but would love the opinions of more experienced people.

I acclimated it for a over an hour. Plopped it on the sandbed (it came on a rock that you can see below) and planned to leave it there while it settled in before moving it higher up in my rockwork where I read Crocea's seem to prefer.

Slowly (the last day or two) the clam seems to have let go of the rock it was on and has moved (or been moved by snails). This morning I noticed before I headed off to work.

576b042bbf425705247a18039fc9d36e.jpg

6c2d60ebaf214b4e5b2d28fc8428c3a4.jpg

eaca3192793fb0d1103c7923572d33c6.jpg

I planned on building a tub out of milliput and plastic to give it support and hopefully get it to reattach to the original rock.

However after building that this afternoon (and running round to the LFS before it shut for milliput...) the clam seems to have attached itself through my substrate to the glass. I only gave it a very light tap to confirm if it was free or not, I read that this happened to someone else before but they never updated their thread.

o_Oo_Oo_O

I do want to note, the clam "looks" (to a clam newbie) to be healthy. It reacts to it's surrounds and shadows very quickly. I've broadcast fed goniopower which it ate right away and it seems to be fully expanded all the time. To me everything seems right, but seeing it slowly come loose has made me a little nervous.

Water test results:
Ammonia/Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10ppm
Ca = 420ppm
Alk = 9dkh
Mag = 1330ppm
Temp = 26c
pH = 8.0

Now my questions are:

1. Is this a sign I've done something wrong? I suspect moving the thing to a new tank a few days after it got delivered to my LFS stressed the little guy out and it just needs to be left alone, am I correct?

2. Is there anything I should be doing to help?

3. Eventually as good as it's shell looks my fish are getting a better view than me, how do I move it once the time comes?

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
D

D E N I N O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a squamosa clam to me. Very pretty. I would leave the clam be. Welcome to R2R @DSC reef

Hmm, it was sold as a Crocea but I think you're correct looking at the shells.

Am I right in thinking that squamosa need a little less light and should do fine on the sandbed then?

Welcome to the forum! I personally wouldn’t try to feed it they will generate their own nutrients via photosynthesis

8BF65C0D-2F18-423E-BC5B-CBA37DF7FB97.gif

Thanks for the welcome!

I only broadcast feed, I have a lot of palys and zoas that like to eat and a whole bunch of feather worms under my rock. The clam just sensed it and got in on the action too.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back