!!!!! QUESTIONS I SHOULD HAVE ASKED!!!!!

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I'd start a thread with this title because we've had a lot of new builds as of recent.

What are some questions you wished you had asked as you started your build??

I remember when I just got started that the first year was pretty rough for me. What are somethings that you know now that you would have liked to have known in the beginning ??

Maybe you'd like to share some experiences you've had since you've started your tank....

Maybe you thought oh I got this and had an epic fail lol.... Be honest it's happened to all of us!!

Maybe you still have questions your not sure about?!?

Let's have some fun with this and if you can try to help each other out.

We at the #reefsquad are always willing and able to help you along the way! [emoji4]

So if your a newcomer, beginner, intermediate, or advanced reefer it matters not. We all learn from each other ! Iron sharpens iron my freinds! Fire away! [emoji12]

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ask more about sump sizing.

I was under the impression bigger is better. While it's better, but it left me with no room under the tank for storage like for dosing and controllers. I found a workaround so it's not so bad now, but wish I had known to take space into consideration. I didn't realize it until after I'd plumbed, glued and filled the tank. by then it wasn't worth it to swap out the sumps

on the flip side, months after having the sump, I am almost out of room in it, so yes, i am glad I went big in the end, lol. Just had to store stuff outside the stand

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting, what type of light should I get.

I went cheaper at first and found that my growth was not there and I was losing corals

what I did
I shopped around and asked question and bought the right light I needed for my needs. Yes the new lights were 3 times of my first light, but after the corals I lost and the expense of the first light I would have been ahead with the better lights.
lesson learned
Do not thing cheaper is better;)

Carlon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ask more about sump sizing.

I was under the impression bigger is better. While it's better, but it left me with no room under the tank for storage like for dosing and controllers. I found a workaround so it's not so bad now, but wish I had known to take space into consideration. I didn't realize it until after I'd plumbed, glued and filled the tank. by then it wasn't worth it to swap out the sumps
Boy do I hear you. I am thinking of swapping out my sump when I do my water change after curing my rock.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to hide all of my purchases and can I use your address to ship my goods to, I will pick it up later!

Whatever you do to cover it up, they still find out.:eek::D

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Jebao stickers made in various sizes, this way when my wife googles the manufacturer name she isn't surprised!

I got a third job for the fish tank build;)

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I can relate to a lot of these! Lol [emoji23]

Two things that come to mind !

1. Many years ago I was dosing calcium and alkalinity and NEVER checked magnesium! I did that for about a year and was constantly chasing my tail all over . Couldn't figure out why!

2. When using a stock stand and using a sump, not having enough room to get a skimmer in and out because of height restrictions!

Oh I've got more!! Lol [emoji23]

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh just another thought.....

Buying cheapo equipment thinking it's going to last , just to buy a reputable piece later!
Two truths to live buy.

How much will you save when you end up having to buy it again (and again and again)?

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you find time to do it again?

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choice of heaters, lighting, power heads, test kits,meds,chemicals,sand and making your own water. There's so much more than a tank with fish. I ended up spending hundreds more than I wanted.

I don't disagree that there are many pieces to a successful tank! My question to you is .... did R2R help you make informed decisions on the products that you would need??

I try to think long term . Hopefully folks here helped you make good long term choices so you can succeed and not have to re buy something because it wasn't reputable or dependable.

Nothing worse than spending your hard earned money just to replace something because it failed prematurely. [emoji4]

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 86.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back