Questions on Anthias tank

David H Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of getting back into the hobby from a decades-long absence. I'm selling my cruising boat and want to have a hobby that continues to connect me to the ocean, so taking some of the proceeds from the boat sale and putting it into a really nice tank seems somehow appropriate. And if there is one thing I can say about a tank, however extravagant, is that it will cost a whole lot less than the boat did ... LOL.

So I am interested in getting an approximately 200-odd gallon reef tank focusing on Anthias, soft corals and compatible fish. As you probably know, the tank needs to be set up and humming for a fairly long period of time (I'm guessing at least six months) before the Anthias can be added. And the Anthias need to be put in all at once. So if I hypothetically want two dozen Anthias (advice on exactly how many would be of interest) it seems difficult to see how quarantine would be possible. Certainly I know that even with the largest QT in the world, the Anthias would be cramped, miserable and would probably tear each other to shreds. It also seems cruel to the fish themselves.

Is the best solution to order the fish from the local store and have them quarantine the Anthias? How much would a store generally charge for such a service?

A simple rule of thumb that's been mentioned is that you should not double the bio load on your tank in a month. How can this be handled if I'm likely to start from a low bio load when it's time to add the Anthias?

Any recommendations for good fish and corals to go with the Anthias? Are the Anthias compatible with wavy soft corals? I'm already thinking Zebra Barred Dartfish, Fairy Wrasse and Mandarin.

Is it better to have one species of Anthias or mix them up?

Is it possible to grow enough Copepods in the tank to feed the Anthias, if I introduce them a few months before the Anthias? From everything being said, that seems like the best way to feed them if feasible.

Wow. Lots of questions! Hope they spark some entertaining discussion.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is unlikely to be enough copepods in the water column to sustain the anthias in any form.
Essentially any coral is fine with anthias so long as it cant eat them
Mixing them is generally ok, but its easier with the smaller species of pseudanthias like dispar, ignitus,randalls and not ones from the subgenus franzia. Not all anthias will tear each other to shreds.
Any fish that is peaceful and doesnt eat fish is ok with them, so long as anthias are added first, then introduce more agressive species like angels and tangs if they are what you want.
Not all anthias are needed to be added at once and can be added in batches.

OP
OP
D

David H Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the informative reply!

When I was referring to tearing themselves I was thinking of having dozens of them in the 40 gallon quarantine tank. But if I can add them in batches that would solve my problem.

What would be the optimal size for batches and how many do you think I could reasonably keep? I don't think I would want to put in really large fish, although I would be tempted by a flame angel even though I know it's a risk.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the informative reply!

When I was referring to tearing themselves I was thinking of having dozens of them in the 40 gallon quarantine tank. But if I can add them in batches that would solve my problem.

What would be the optimal size for batches and how many do you think I could reasonably keep? I don't think I would want to put in really large fish, although I would be tempted by a flame angel even though I know it's a risk.
I dont quarantine my fish, so i cant give you the best answer by any means, but maybe 10 small ones at a time, and make surw you have a powerhead. Sorey i cant give a better answer, someone else hopefully can

Frysize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m definitely not an expert on anthias but I added 4 Lyretail to my 5 month old 180 gallon 3 months ago. I think they are thriving and plan on adding a few more. I didn’t quarantine so I can’t help you there. I feed clams that I buy at the grocery store and LRS foods. I’m able to feed throughout the day( 5 or 6 times) because I work from home usually. I find them to be hardy fish and fairly aggressive. Just my experience.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found Disbars to be pretty easy going. I put 6 small size in a 10 gallon QT for a month without any issues. Like Angel-Anthias Lover said, use a power head in the tank. Most anthias react to food when it is blowing in the current vs sinking in the corner. Mine have done very well on two feedings a day and the bare bottom tank they are in doesn’t have many pods. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back