Quick connect for water change station hose

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the typical mixing station with 2 containers with 1 pump and flow directed with 1 inch schedule 80 ball valves. I put a T above the pump so that I can use a hose/tube if needed. So far I haven’t needed it and it just have the ball valve without anything connected.

Is there a good way to hook up a hose to the ball valve (1 inch) but be able to disconnect it easily? I was initially going to use barbed fittings but the hose will be in the way and hardly used. Is there a good quick connect system?

IMG_0283.jpeg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a reduced nipple to get the hose to smaller size if needed.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure something I have to thread and screw tightly/torque is going to be a good idea. The uniseals on the bottom leak slightly when they are pushed on

Harpo

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is what I use. Most true union ball valves come with both slip & threaded adapters

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use. Most true union ball valves come with both slip & threaded adapters

This looks perfect. Thank you

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also use push to connect fittings as long as you either:
- Use a stiffer tubing (Polyurethane tubing is great, as is nylon)
- Use an insert in vinyl tubing.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use banjo fittings on the garden hoses.
Banjo GHFT075D Polypropylene Cam & Groove Fitting, 3/4" Coupler x GHT Female https://a.co/d/icdDhBO
second the banjo cam lockers. There isn't any metal that would contact your water. All the mating faces are polypropylene/silicon gasket. The stainless steel cams are only to compress the o-ring and keep it sealed. I used to work for a chemical manufacturer, making carwash soap as an automated carwash mechanic, we used them on the mixing vats that held raw chemical. Those fittings can hold up to some serious abuse. I have seen them handle hydrofluoric/sulfuric acid, caustic soda etc, both sides of the ph scale, no problems.

Harpo

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
second the banjo cam lockers. There isn't any metal that would contact your water. All the mating faces are polypropylene/silicon gasket. The stainless steel cams are only to compress the o-ring and keep it sealed. I used to work for a chemical manufacturer, making carwash soap as an automated carwash mechanic, we used them on the mixing vats that held raw chemical. Those fittings can hold up to some serious abuse. I have seen them handle hydrofluoric/sulfuric acid, caustic soda etc, both sides of the ph scale, no problems.
Is this what your referring to ?

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this what your referring to ?
Sure is, sometimes the local tractor/farm store will carry them. Sometimes you can luck out and find them with a barb fitting instead of NPT too. That link was just to the female half, the piece with the cams. Make sure you get both male and female if you go this route, and make sure the other end mates well with your plumbing, male/female NPT or barb or whatever. This is what the male banjo piece looks like:
1693375401839.png

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

niccumec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw these Plasson Quick-Connectors when searching for a similar solution. Anyone ever used these? I like the concept - push in to automatically open the valve and simple release to close valve. For water siphoning / water changes it seems like it would work nicely.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back