Quick question about polishing acrylic...

amnesiac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I have a 3x6x1 frag system that’s drilled for a closed loop. The walls are 1” with the floor being 1/2”. I was all set to get wet but it was bothering me that I didn’t polish the holes for the bulkheads. Can not polishing the acrylic lead to cracks down the line??? Anyone with multi year drilled (unpolished holes) acrylic tank please chime in. Thanks guys!

sagee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your talking about just the inside of the holes I'm assuming right? Not what would be the bottom of the tank rather the edges of ths hole itself?

OP
OP
amnesiac

amnesiac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right, just the inside of the holes.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after several acrylic tanks, each with multiple bulkheads and none of them polished, the crack count is zero. So unless you drilled the holes with a chisel, I think you can feel safe about it.;Nailbiting;Playful

OP
OP
amnesiac

amnesiac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after several acrylic tanks, each with multiple bulkheads and none of them polished, the crack count is zero. So unless you drilled the holes with a chisel, I think you can feel safe about it.;Nailbiting;Playful
;Joyful;Joyful;Joyful You just made my day. God knows when I’d be able to get out to Home Depot to get a cylinder of MAPP. Thanks for the response!!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilled a friends acrylic sump about 3 years ago now. 2 1" bulkheads and a 2", no cracks, or crazing, and we just drilled them, sanded, added bulkheads.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat polishing can end up with issues requiring sheets to be annealed more than other problems. I'd avoid getting it hot, cut with coolant, and don't worry about it :)

OP
OP
amnesiac

amnesiac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat polishing can end up with issues requiring sheets to be annealed more than other problems. I'd avoid getting it hot, cut with coolant, and don't worry about it :)
Yup yup, that's exactly how they were done. Used a fresh hole saw, jig and continuous water cooling from start to finish. The 1 inchers took longer than expected due to multiple battery swap outs. Learned my lesson, next time I'll go cordless on anything bigger than 1/2".

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup yup, that's exactly how they were done. Used a fresh hole saw, jig and continuous water cooling from start to finish. The 1 inchers took longer than expected due to multiple battery swap outs. Learned my lesson, next time I'll go cordless on anything bigger than 1/2".

How long were those cuts? Shouldn't take more than a few minutes with acrylic. Just remember to chip clear constantly with hole saws by peck drilling (cut, retract constantly while flushing the hole), especially with acrylic which will happily remelt all of the chips back into a spongy mass as it cuts meaning you have no teeth left to cut with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
amnesiac

amnesiac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long were those cuts? Shouldn't take more than a few minutes with acrylic. Just remember to chip clear constantly with hole saws by peck drilling (cut, retract constantly while flushing the hole), especially with acrylic which will happily remelt all of the chips back into a spongy mass as it cuts meaning you have no teeth left to cut with.
They were definitely longer than a few mins. I didn't know there was a term for it, but it sounds like I was "peck" drilling (drill a few seconds, let the water stream clear out the chips, drill a few seconds more, rinse repeat). The saw itself was brand new (bought specifically for the job). I dunno, maybe it's time for a new drill......

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back