Quick Temperature Swings of +/- 1 degree each hour. Is that OK?

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there - I just installed a chiller to my tank to try and keep the temperature between 78-79 degrees (I'm thinking about bumping that down to 77-78 degrees). Either way, whenever my chiller kicks in it brings the water right down to 78 from 79 really quickly (within 1 hour). See chart below. Is that too large of a temperature swing, and too often, for my SPS corals? Thanks for any insight.

1593454137083.png

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. Currents in the real world bring sudden temperature changes on the reef.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. Currents in the real world bring sudden temperature changes on the reef.
Yup. Reef crests see pretty significant changes in temp pretty quickly.

All people are doing by holding temp to .1 degree is wearing out the relays/switches/etc in their equipment faster.

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Reef crests see pretty significant changes in temp pretty quickly.

All people are doing by holding temp to .1 degree is wearing out the relays/switches/etc in their equipment faster.
That was my fear - turning on and off the chiller every 15 minutes would surely wear it down quicker. Ok thanks for the help!

SPSlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah my JBJ does the same thing. I adjusted the temp so it the apex is only for backup control and the chiller does the main controlling. It only runs in the daytime since my house is cooler at night. Runs about 6-7 times a day.
Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah my JBJ does the same thing. I adjusted the temp so it the apex is only for backup control and the chiller does the main controlling. It only runs in the daytime since my house is cooler at night. Runs about 6-7 times a day.
Thanks @SPSlover for the info. Just wondering how you have the feed pump programmed if you're running the chiller on it's own. Do you just run the feed pump 24/7, regardless of whether the chiller is on or not?

SPSlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i just run the feed 24/7 with all the normal return pump back ups. Im not sure if that is really necessary and i could just have it all turn off a night.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank goes up and down about .6 degrees it seems every hour because of the chiller. chiller turns on at 79.2 and turns off at 78.6.

does that stress fish/coral?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The consensus above is that it is OK. I do not personally know. Just because it happens in nature does not mean it isn't stressful. Lions eat zebras. Very stressful for the zebra. lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use a chiller?

Sort of. Not an electric chiller but controlled cold tap water through a big tubing coil in the sump, holding temp very steady in summer.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back