Quiet Peristaltic Pump for Calcium Reactor

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to discourage you from buying a peristaltic pump but I use a different approach to make sure my effluent rate is consistent and never changes . It's the use of a fuel filter just before my needle valve in the effluent line . The one I use is specific to Mercedes benz and is used in the new Deltec calcium reactor too .
You can attach a John guest 5/16 x 1/4 quick connect fitting and works like a charm

IMG_2923.JPG

IMG_2924.JPG
I have mine running the same way thanks to Adam as well, very simple.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine running the same way thanks to Adam as well, very simple.

I haven't adjusted my effluent rate in close to 6 months now . No change in my alk and all I did in 6 months was to take the filter off once to clean it .

I know it's difficult to make peristaltic pump users accept such a simple solution but if anyone reading this and gonna try a calcium reactor , I strongly encourage you to first try a fuel filter and then go for a peristaltic pump if it doesn't work . No harm in trying a 4$ filter first !

Regards,
Abhishek

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:

The unit has failed. There is absolutely no power inside. Pretty poor considering it was only in use for 1.5 days. I am trying to get a replacement and hopefully it is a one off.

I will keep you all informed.
I'd try a different power supply. I think mine went bad but can't remember if it was the Kamoer or something else.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't adjusted my effluent rate in close to 6 months now . No change in my alk and all I did in 6 months was to take the filter off once to clean it .

I know it's difficult to make peristaltic pump users accept such a simple solution but if anyone reading this and gonna try a calcium reactor , I strongly encourage you to first try a fuel filter and then go for a peristaltic pump if it doesn't work . No harm in trying a 4$ filter first !

Regards,
Abhishek

Can you PM me a link or more Info on where to get this filter. I have questions.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered one..
Where does this go on my effluent line?
What other parts do I need

Corey

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be really old school, but if MasterFlex or other current-gen full-duty pump is not in your budget, Kangaroo 324 was a great and quiet pump a few decades ago. You can google the old threads on them, but they were the MasterFlex before MasterFlex was the MasterFlex. reefdosingpumps.com offered a reef version of the Kangaroo for I think about $350. I know some guys still running these since the 1990s.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try a different power supply. I think mine went bad but can't remember if it was the Kamoer or something else.
Thanks Mark

That was the first thing I did. I checked the supply and it was good. I am not going to play with it and possibly void the 2yr warranty so it will go back to kamoer this afternoon.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an American distributor. I prefer to pick up shipments at fedex or ups

I don't know .. I just ordered from them and got them in my usps mail after 5days . Drop a mail to them and check .
I used the same one as it's exactly the same fuel filter that Deltec uses in their new calcium reactor . I believe you can use any fuel filter .

Regards,
Abhishek

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mark

That was the first thing I did. I checked the supply and it was good. I am not going to play with it and possibly void the 2yr warranty so it will go back to kamoer this afternoon.
I figured it would be after our other conversation, but also figured I might as well suggest it :)

I've had mine opened up before, and it's quite simple inside, just a logic board and the motor, for the most part. The one time I recall having mine "act weird", I took it out of my cabinet and into the dealer to look at it. The next day the dealer called and said it was all good, and it's worked fine ever since. Mine was never completely dead though, so you may have just gotten a dud.

I've had it running non stop for probably 5 months now and it's been pretty good, actually. I'm sure you'll get it sorted. The kamoer even outlived my reactor. My recirculating pump in my dang Vertex RX-C 6D carx died a month ago and getting a replacement is basically impossible (vertex glues in the piping to the pump head), so I just got one of the reef octopus carx that uses a nice varios pump. The new benefit is my reactor is finally silent :)

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update.

The replacement pump arrived very quickly from Kamoer China. I opened the box and plugged the unit in and............the screen was doing its best disco impression. This lasted about 1min and then went black never to flicker into life again.

I am extremely disappointed with Kamoer and their lack of quality control. I will not be chancing a third pump. This one will be sent back and when I get my money back I will order different pump. Perhaps the vario 2.

I was really looking forward to setting this up on my reactor.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Steve

I went for some basic peristaltic pumps that rotate after a short fixed period between 4 pump heads. I wrote some PWM code to determine on/off times for the heads based upon the current alkalinity vs the setpoint and integrated a PID loop.
So far it’s been a very cheap endeavour and quite successful.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proportional
Integral
Derivative

It is a series of calculations applied on control systems that, when set up properly, allow the control system to self adjust to maintain a stable level against a setpoint.

You are certainly free to look them up and in truth it’s not difficult but it does make for incredibly heavy reading in both mathematics and engineering.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back