Quiet, STABLE, controllable wave pumps

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fighting the same battle here. I have 4 MP40s on the overflow end of my 5' Reefer 650 and there's not enough "punch" so detritus settles on the last foot of the tank. I ordered a Tunze 6095 to try out but I'm thinking the flow will be too wide and should have gone with a 6105. The 6095 is set to arrive today so I will let you know what I think. Did you order from BRS to get 10% off today?

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fighting the same battle here. I have 4 MP40s on the overflow end of my 5' Reefer 650 and there's not enough "punch" so detritus settles on the last foot of the tank. I ordered a Tunze 6095 to try out but I'm thinking the flow will be too wide and should have gone with a 6105. The 6095 is set to arrive today so I will let you know what I think. Did you order from BRS to get 10% off today?

MP40s, as I said, won't work for me. Back side of my peninsula is in a closet, having the motor on that side of the glass simply won't work. (and, I can't stand the whine they make)

My 5' peninsula is, happily, bare bottom. So.. I put a powerhead in the bottom corner back, aimed down and out, so that flow is right along the bottom outside corners. First one corner, then the other. Flow hits the other end, 5' away, and boils the surface pretty good, bounces, keeps a pretty steady 'gyre' running back along the surface to the overflows.

I do get a little detritus buildup, swirling, right along the front edge of the front rock island. I stick my hose in there every week when I do my 10% water changes. No problem. My elegance coral is near there... likes the lower flow area.

Takes strong pumps. Here's hoping the Tunze 6105 will do the job. The Rossmont MX4100's moved plenty of water, but their controller just wasn't up to par.

Yes, on the BRS 10% St. Patrick's day. I'll be having a dram o' Tulimore Dew in a few hours, to celebrate :) Love me some Irish!

Oh, reminds me... someone above recommended a sea swirl. Nope. No place to mount it in this setup. Used to have one, a decade or two ago. Great product. I gather they have one now that holds a powerhead instead of directing a return pump... Good idea... but, as I said, not going to work for this implementation.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 43.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 67 46.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back