Quiet waterfall ATS mods.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people suggest waterfall ATSs are noisy, well if they are they need not be and with most the commercial ones like my Turo scrubber its probably the quietest item I have in my sump.

There are 2 reasons why my ATS is more or less silent.
Firstly the water discharging from the ATS into the sump exits approximately 2" below the water surface so there is no splashing from water dropping into the sump which I admit would make it noisy.

Secondly, I have put a net bag over the outlet. This does 2 things. It catches any algae as in the Ulva I grow on my screen that might fall off.

Secondly it helps break up the larger bubbles caused by the water exiting the pipe from the scrubber which have already been reduced by the exit pipe being below the waters surface.

BTW, I also replaced the large overflow pipe with a much smaller diameter 3/4" pipe. I found the large diameter overflow unnecessary. This makes the easier to accommodate on top of my sump as the large overflow fouled on my sump baffled. I did have it blocked off entirely but by having a much smaller diameter overflow pipe it gives me some insurance against any blockage and when a small trickle of water exit it, it indicates it's time to harvest the scrubber screen.

Photo of my ATS drainpipe.
20200402_161553.jpg

Drainpipe with net bag attached using simple drawstrings.
20200402_161641.jpg

Pic of my much diameter reduced 3/4" overflow pipe.
20200402_161656.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back